Rice Academy Postdoctoral Fellow
- Rice University
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7195235
- Posting Date: Nov 20, 2023
- Salary / Pay Rate: $60,000
- Application Deadline: Jan 3, 2024
As part of a recently launched $150 million investment in research initiatives to advance this mission, Rice University is pleased to announce and invite applications for the Rice Academy Postdoctoral Fellows Program. With the 2024-2026 cohort, the Rice Academy will be open to all research fields and areas of study.
The two-year Rice Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to exceptional scholars who have recently earned a doctoral degree in any area and who want to pursue research with faculty at Rice University. Applications are particularly welcome from those who are interested in interdisciplinary approaches to scholarship.
Individuals selected as Fellows will join the Rice University Academy of Fellows, a community of scholars that includes senior members of the Rice faculty. Additionally, the Rice Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship offers:
- a postdoctoral position
- a mentored relationship with a discipline-related faculty member;
- collaborative relationships with an academy of distinguished faculty fellows who have extraordinarily diverse interests and expertise relevant to scholarship on health, inequality, and data science;
- regular opportunities for intellectual exploration with the Rice Academy Postdoctoral Fellow community;
- programmatic activities to promote professional development, including a focused plan to pursue the K99 award and other relevant early career awards;
- substantial campus-wide resources in expertise and instrumentation;
- a $60,000 salary with benefits.
The standard stipend for a Rice Academy Junior Fellow is $60,000. National standard stipends in a few research areas are above that level, and those departments may augment the stipend.
Academy Junior Fellows will also be provided with a one-time $5,000 research fund and access to university resources.
Candidates must submit:
- Research proposal (three pages maximum)
- Writing sample (sample publication or other work of scholarship)
- Name of one (1) active Rice University faculty member with whom the candidate would like to work (to be included in the answer to the supplemental question on the application). All applicants are asked to contact their prospective mentor to seek their support both as a mentor as well as for salary support (50% of the fellowship, or $30,000 annually).
- Letter of support. This letter should be obtained in advance of submitting the final application and emailed to [email protected] with the subject line "Letter of Support". The letter of support should contain two things: 1) a concise description of the proposed postdoctoral project(s) and why the candidate fits the project and 2) that half of the fellowship will be funded by the Rice University faculty member or a Rice University department.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, due on or before January 4, 2024, are to be emailed to [email protected] by the recommender. Recommenders are encouraged to use your name and "Letter of Recommendation" in the subject line.
The Rice Academy Senior Fellows will begin application reviews as early as December 1, 2023. Non-U.S. citizens are eligible to apply. The deadline to apply is January 3, 2024.
Rice Mission and Values:
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity at all levels and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.