Computer Science Research Institute (CSRI) Postdoctoral Appointee - Onsite
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Job Number: 7192210 (Ref #: 692018)
- Posting Date: Nov 9, 2023
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs: + Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide + Extraordinary co-workers + Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world + Career advancement and enrichment opportunities + Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home) + Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance* World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification. What Your Job Will Be Like: Are you looking to be a member of a team working on innovative projects that have positive impact on society? The Computer Science Research Institute (CSRI) is seeking postdoctoral researchers across a wide range of computational and data sciences. We seek applicants who can complement or expand on our current research strengths in computational science, high-performance scientific computing, applied mathematics, data science, and emerging computing architectures. We seek candidates who enjoy continued learning, working on research teams, and helping to develop new ideas. You will have an opportunity to work with mentors and teammates who are renowned leaders in their fields. Flexible research funding may be available for select postdocs to pursue their own ideas, for example to expand their thesis research or to grow expertise in a new research area under mentorship of CSRI staff. Join hundreds of other R&D scientists working on some of our nation’s largest and most challenging mathematics and computer science problems and make a difference! The CSRI is committed to nurturing a culture compatible with a broad group of people and perspectives in accordance with the changing makeup of the workforce. In support of this vision, the center actively recruits applicants from a diverse set of backgrounds and fosters an inclusive community. On any given day, you may be called on to: + Conduct innovative research in computing, broadly defined, individually or as part of a research team. + Work towards publishing new developments in high-profile peer-reviewed scientific journals or refereed conference proceedings. + Contribute to development of open-source software. + Collaborate with a diverse set of colleagues including researchers from your own field, applications specialists, and others. Candidates applying on this requisition may be interviewed and/or hired by one of several organizations at Sandia National Laboratories, including organizations at both our New Mexico and California sites. Due to the nature of the work, the selected candidates must be able to work onsite. Qualifications We Require: + You have, or are pursuing, a PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, data science, the physical sciences, or a related science or engineering field
- PhD must be conferred within five years prior to employment + Broad-based background and deep understanding in one or more field of computing and information sciences research, such as computational simulation, applied mathematics, data science, and future computing architectures + Record of research as proven by publications in peer-reviewed journals or competitive conference proceeding Qualifications We Desire: + Interest in teaming to tackle challenging interdisciplinary R&D problems in support of DOE missions + Experience in code development, potentially including software design using object-oriented programming, high-performance computing, distributed or parallel computing, and/or coding for new computer architectures. + A background in solving practical problems in science and engineering, for example problems involving experimental data or other real-world data + Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment + Research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, workshop and/or conference organization, and editorial roles + A dedication to encouraging an inclusive culture, as proven in your application materials + Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE security clearance About Our Team: The Computer Science Research Institute (CSRI) at Sandia National Laboratories creates technology and solutions for many of our country's most demanding national security challenges. Our research and development activities span the spectrum from fundamental research to state-of-the-art applications. We combine expertise across multiple fields: high-performance scientific computing, physics-based modeling and simulation, data science, machine learning, applied mathematics, optimization, statistics, decision support, data analysis and visualization, computer systems architecture, quantum computing, neuromorphic computing, human-technology connections, and others. The CSRI spans both Sandia’s Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Livermore, California, locations and supports a dynamic and flexible work environment. Posting Duration: This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance. Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico need to pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment. If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a clearance, a pre-processing background review may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance need to be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted. Members of the workforce (MOWs) hired at Sandia who require uncleared access for greater than 179 days during their employment, are required to go through the Uncleared Personal Identity Verification (UPIV) process. Access includes physical and/or cyber (logical) access, as well as remote access to any NNSA information technology (IT) systems. UPIV requirements are not applicable to individuals who require a DOE personnel security clearance for the performance of their SNL employment or to foreign nationals. The UPIV process will include the completion of a USAccess Enrollment, SF-85 (Questionnaire for Non-Sensitive Positions) and OF-306 (Declaration of for Federal Employment). An unfavorable UPIV determination will result in immediate retrieval of the SNL issued badge, removal of cyber (logical) access and/or removal from SNL subcontract. All MOWs may appeal the unfavorable UPIV determination to DOE/NNSA immediately. If the appeal is unsuccessful, the MOW may try to go through the UPIV process one year after the decision date. EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law. NNSA Requirements for MedPEDs: If you have a Medical Portable Electronic Device (MedPED), such as a pacemaker, defibrillator, drug-releasing pump, hearing aids, or diagnostic equipment and other equipment for measuring, monitoring, and recording body functions such as heartbeat and brain waves, if employed by Sandia National Laboratories you may be required to comply with NNSA security requirements for MedPEDs. If you have a MedPED and you are selected for an on-site interview at Sandia National Laboratories, there may be additional steps necessary to ensure compliance with NNSA security requirements prior to the interview date. Position Information: This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment. Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance. Job ID: 692018
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.