Postdoctoral Scholar Employee
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7188547
- Posting Date: Oct 26, 2023
- Salary / Pay Rate: $5,374.00 / mo - $7,316.00 / month
- Application Deadline: Nov 14, 2023
Division: ED-Energy Storage & Distributed Resources
Laser Technologies Group in LBNL"s Energy Technologies Area has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will participate in the development of Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) and Laser Ablation Molecular Spectrometry (LAMIS) for the analysis of actinides and light elements. Research will involve testing of different pulsed lasers and spectrometers, calculation of laser-induced plasma properties, spectral line fitting and chemometrics, and interpretation of complex isotopic spectra. It also involves experimental system setup, automation and diagnostics of the laser ablation process as it relates to spectrochemical signatures. The goal of this project is to leverage advanced laser technologies for the development of high sensitivity technologies for the detection of isotopes in actinides and light elements.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct advanced research on LIBS and LAMIS of actinides and light elements.
• Analyze complex spectra and interpretation based on physical phenomena and isotopic shifts.
• Design optical systems and diagnostics.
• Characterize the morphology of laser ablation craters and correlate with emission signals.
• Work with chemometrics and standardless quantification routines.
• Function independently and provide research support and assistance to other members of the group.
• Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
• Report research results in peer-reviewed journals and conferences.
• Carry out collaborative research with staff scientists, postdoc fellows, visiting researchers, and students.
• Adhere with ETA and EH&S safety guidelines and requirements.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in experimental Physics, Chemistry, Engineering or other related fields.
• Extensive experience with Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) and pulsed laser material interactions
• Experience in optical system design.
• Prior experience with chemometrics and/or calibration-free calibration approaches.
• Experience with various laser ablation crater morphological chemical characterization techniques.
• Ability to work as an independent researcher and as a member of a diverse research team, collaborating toward goals, solving problems, and developing scientific ideas.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to author technical and/or scientific writing and present work in conference and review meetings.
• Ability to work effectively with others in a collaborative and diverse research environment.
• Experience with ultrafast lasers.
• Prior experience with design and implementation of in situ diagnostics of laser-induced plasmas.
• Prior experience with actinides and/or spectroscopy in nuclear security applications.
For Consideration, please apply by November 14, 2023 with the following application materials:
• Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• The monthly salary range for this position is $5,374.00 / mo - $7,316.00 / mo and is expected to start at $6,626.00 / mo or above. Postdoctoral positions are paid on a step schedule per union contract and salaries will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates. Each step represents one full year of completed post-Ph.D. postdoctoral and/or related research experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=270882 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.