Research Associate I - Breunig Lab - Regenerative Medicine Institute
- Cedars Sinai
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7182944 (Ref #: HRC1266947A)
- Posting Date: Sep 25, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Join Dr. Joshua Breunig and their research group as a Research Associate I at the Cedars-Sinai Regenerative Medicine Institute!
Neural stem cells generate the majority of the cells in the brain. The Breunig Laboratory studies the molecular mechanisms that mediate the normal differentiation of these cells to create the appropriate mature cell types in the brain, including neurons and glia (astrocytes and oligodendrocytes). Importantly, this information can be used to create therapies to direct differentiation and promote brain repair. Conversely, we also use this knowledge to understand the development of brain tumors when cells are mutated. For example, the exact origin of brain tumors is currently under debate, with most evidence pointing to either a neural stem cell origin or an oligodendrocyte progenitor origin. To learn more, please visit Breunig Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai
Are you a passionate and dedicated research professional?
Working under direct supervision, the Research Associate I will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including reagent maintenance and stocking supplies. The RA I will be able to perform routine cellular, micro-and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes, and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies in a timely manner.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Files and monitors documents.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biological science is required.
Experience and Skills:
- No experience is required, laboratory experience is preferred. Understanding of general research objectives and familiarity with microscopy.
- Knowledge of routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians, and students.
- Scheduling flexibility and timeliness including evening, weekend, and holiday rotation commitments. Travel may be required.
Working Title: Research Associate I - Breunig Lab - Regenerative Medicine Institute
Department: Regenerative Medicine Inst
Business Entity: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$19.50 - $29.87