- Oregon State University
- Location: Corvallis, OR
- Job Number: 7179633
- Posting Date: Sep 15, 2023
- Application Deadline: Jan 5, 2024
Oregon State University
Department: Sch of Chem/Bio/Envr Eng (ECB)
Appointment Type: Academic Faculty
Job Location: Corvallis
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with skills, education and experience.
The School of Chemical, Biological, and Environmental Engineering (CBEE) at Oregon State University (OSU) seeks to fill one or more full-time (1.00 FTE), tenure-track/tenured, nine-month assistant professor, associate professor, or full professor positions in chemical engineering to begin Sept. 16, 2024.
Upon appointment to faculty, rank will be determined commensurate with qualifications. OSU's College of Engineering (COE) has committed to being a national model of inclusivity and collaboration. We strive to develop a community of faculty, students, and staff that is inclusive, collaborative, diverse, and centered on student success. We seek applicants who will broaden our capacity to advance student success and close gaps across demographic groups.
Any hiring at the rank of Associate Professor/Professor with indefinite tenure will be subject to a successful out-of-cycle tenure review process: https://facultyaffairs.oregonstate.edu/out-cycle-tenure-review-procedure.
CBEE provides formal education to undergraduate and graduate students, performs sponsored and unsponsored research for the benefit of the State of Oregon, private industry and the federal government, and conducts public service activities. The individual in this position is expected to perform a combination of duties related to teaching and advising in chemical engineering, advancing appropriate research and other scholarly work, and performing service activities. Duties will support the expansion of advanced materials research in the School of CBEE through research focused on experimental and/or computational discovery and implementation of novel materials and processes. This work is in alignment with COE signature research areas of advanced materials, artificial intelligence, and computing.
Working for Oregon State University is so much more than a job!
Oregon State University is a dynamic community of dreamers, doers, problem-solvers and change-makers. We don’t wait for challenges to present themselves — we seek them out and take them on. We welcome students, faculty and staff from every background and perspective into a community where everyone feels seen and heard. We have deep-rooted mindfulness for the natural world and all who depend on it, and together, we apply knowledge, tools and skills to build a better future for all.
• Top 1.4% university in the world
• More research funding than all public universities in Oregon combined
• 1 of 3 land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the U.S.
• 2 campuses, 11 colleges, 12 experiment stations, and Extension programs in all 36 counties
• 7 cultural resource centers that offer education, celebration and belonging for everyone
• 100+ undergraduate degree programs, 80+ graduate degrees plus hundreds of minor options and certificates
• 35k+ students including more than 2.3k international students and 10k students of color
• 217k+ alumni worldwide
• For more interesting facts about OSU visit: https://oregonstate.edu/about
Oregon State has a statewide presence with campuses in Corvallis and Bend, the OSU Portland Center and the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the Pacific Coast in Newport.
Oregon State’s beautiful, historic and state-of-the-art main campus is located in one of America’s best college towns. Corvallis is located close to the Pacific Ocean, the Cascade mountains and Oregon wine country. Nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley, this beautiful city offers miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, a river perfect for boating or kayaking and an eclectic downtown featuring local cuisine, popular events and performances.
Total Rewards Package:
Oregon State University offers a https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/prospective-employee with benefits eligible positions that is designed to meet the needs of employees and their families including:
• Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life. OSU pays 95% of premiums for you and your eligible dependents.
• Free confidential mental health and emotional support services, and counseling resources.
• Retirement savings paid by the university.
• A generous paid leave package, including holidays, vacation and sick leave.
• Tuition reduction benefits for you or your qualifying dependents at OSU or the additional six Oregon Public Universities.
• Robust Work Life programs including Dual Career assistance resources, flexible work arrangements, a Family Resource Center, Affinity Groups and an Employee Assistance Program.
Future and current OSU employees can use the https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/new-employees/benefits-calculator to learn more about the full value of the benefits provided at OSU.
50% – Teaching and Related Duties:Delivers four (quarter long) courses each year in support of the undergraduate and graduate chemical engineering programs. Participates with faculty and administrative staff to incorporate evidence based instructional practices in course design and delivery. Advises undergraduate and graduate students and participates in department- and college-level extended education efforts. Conducts an assessment of student learning for each assigned course, each term, and prepares proper documentation in support of the ABET accreditation process.
40% – Research and Scholarly Activities:Develops a sustainable, externally funded and nationally recognized research program in an area of chemical engineering that supports one or more of the College of Engineering signature or targeted strategic research areas. Publishes research in peer-reviewed journals and in other forms as appropriate and disseminates research results through presentations at regional and national professional meetings. Supervises and mentors graduate students, postdoctoral scientists, and undergraduate students in research and provides leadership in the development and progression of graduate student projects and thesis research. Participates with department and college faculty and administrative staff on broader OSU and multi-institutional research initiatives.
10% – Service:Serves on departmental, college, and university committees. Cooperates with department faculty in support of developing and continuing efforts related to improvement of instruction and research programs in chemical engineering, as well as in environmental engineering and bioengineering. Participates in regional and national professional service activities.
What You Will Need
• PhD in chemical engineering, or closely related field, including Chemistry, Materials Science & Engineering.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct scholarly activities.
• Demonstrated academic preparation to teach core courses in the chemical engineering (CHE) undergraduate and graduate curriculum.
• Proven oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
• For individuals seeking the rank of Associate or Full Professor: Candidate should meet the OSU teaching, advising, research and service criteria for appointment at the desired ranks. https://facultyaffairs.oregonstate.edu/faculty-handbook
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard: 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions .
What We Would Like You to Have
• Experience in teaching and leading research in areas relevant to CBEE and COE strategic research areas.
• At the Associate Professor and full Professor ranks, at least five years of professional experience in research and leadership.
• Postdoctoral, industrial, or national laboratory experience relevant to the qualifications above.
• Demonstrable potential to develop and sustain an active, externally funded research program, and effectively manage research projects and student/staff researchers.
• Demonstrable commitment to collaboration and work in an interdisciplinary team.
• Demonstrable commitment to mentoring students.
• Demonstrable commitment to development of pedagogical knowledge and practices.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 12/1/2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position, and what interests you about coming to Oregon State University.
2) A curriculum vitae that includes the names of at least three professional references, their email addresses, and telephone contact numbers.
3) A Teaching Statement – three pages (or less) summary statement describing your teaching experience and your philosophy of teaching. (upload as Statement of Teaching)
4) A Research Statement – three pages (or less) summary statement describing your proposed research program and describe how it leverages strengths of the School, College, and University. (upload as Statement of Research)
5) A Diversity/Inclusion Statement – three pages (or less) that outlines how your experience, education, and training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community. Experiences and training can be in the context of interactions and activities within or outside the university environment, e.g., community or local organizations. (upload as Diversity Statement)
For additional information please contact:Greg Rorrer
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the criminal history check requirement.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4557050
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.