Critical Skills Recruiting (CSR) Program - ME
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Job Number: 7174132 (Ref #: 691377)
- Posting Date: Aug 26, 2023
- CSR (Master’s Program) is a special, entry-level hiring program designed for new or recent technical bachelor's degree candidates interested in a career in national security at the Labs. The program supports Sandia's strategic staffing needs to meet our important national security mission. In addition, the program supports achievement of a more diverse technical workforce at Sandia and the laboratories’ Affirmative Action Plan recruitment efforts for underrepresented minorities. First, your job will be to enroll in a master’s degree program at one of the top-rated universities within Sandia’s University Partnership Network (http://www.sandia.gov/careers/students_postdocs/campus_recruiting/schools.html) (SUPN) . After you graduate, you will come to work full-time at one of our labs in Albuquerque, NM (most jobs) or Livermore, CA. Subject to certain program requirements, while you are in school, S andia pays for eligible tuition and tuition-associated costs, as well as relocation assistance. You will receive a competitive stipend and eligible employee benefits while in school. Upon graduation, you will return to Sandia to begin your career! Candidates are requested to also apply for a fellowship from the Graduate Fellowships for STEM Diversity (GFSD) and, if eligible, the GEM consortium, to assist with tuition costs. To learn more: Sandia Critical Skills Recruiting Program (http://www.sandia.gov/careers/career-possibilities/special-programs/critical-skills-recruiting-program/) or sandia.gov/careers To participate in this program as a full-time Sandia National Laboratories employee, you will be asked to: + Apply to a minimum of three Sandia University Partnership Network (http://www.sandia.gov/careers/students_postdocs/campus_recruiting/schools.html) (SUPN) universities for your master’s degree: + Two must be Alliance Partner universities: Georgia Tech, Purdue, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, UT-Austin, University of CA – Berkeley, Texas A&M, and the University of New Mexico + The third can be any other university of your choice from the other top universities on the SUPN list where Sandia actively recruits + Be accepted to a minimum of one approved university prior to beginning employment at Sandia + Enroll in and complete a Master’s of Science degree that fulfills Sandia's business needs, on a full-time basis, at a Sandia-approved university + Work with your hiring manager to determine how the planned program of study may be used to accomplish work relevant to Sandia's needs. + Work full-time on site at Sandia for at least two months the summer before beginning graduate studies and during interim summers while in your master’s degree program. + Upon successful completion of your master’s program, return to Sandia as a regular staff member in a science, engineering, or related technical specialty. The actual job assignment at time of graduation from your master's program is typically determined by the hiring organization, based on business mission needs. + Meet a service requirement of two months for every one month in the program and on campus Candidates applying on this requisition may be interviewed and/or hired into one of several organizations at Sandia National Laboratories. Posting Duration: This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time. Qualifications We Require: + Minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 + Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline; degree must be conferred from an ABET-accredited academic institution by Spring 2024 or within three years prior to starting graduate school; students enrolled in concurrent BS/MS programs may also apply + Ability and desire to obtain an approved master's degree in a technical, science or engineering area of critical need to the laboratories + Ability to begin a Master’s of Science program no later than Fall 2024 + Interest in applying to a minimum of 3 approved graduate schools aligned with the CSR Program + Ability to return to Sandia and work full-time immediately upon completion of a Master’s program + Interest in a career in nationl security, to serve our nation Qualifications We Desire: + Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.5/4.0 or above, as an indicator of academic excellence + Participation in leadership or other extracurricular activities that demonstrate teamwork and initiative + Relevant research or work/internship experience + Interest in working in a multidisciplinary laboratory environment + Interest in working onsite at either the NM or CA Sandia site locations as determined by business needs + Applicants are strongly encouraged to include a cover letter, addressing how your graduate school plans, career interests, and academic strengths align with Sandia’s national security mission About Our Team: Sandia National Laboratories is the U.S. Department of Energy’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation. Our technologies—which make our nation safer, improve human and environmental health, and even boost the competitiveness of U.S. industry—can truly change the world. At Sandia, you’ll join some of the top minds in the country in solving difficult challenges. While pursuing problems of real significance, you can expect competitive pay, top-notch benefits, and a work-life balance that gives you time to enjoy family, friends, and the rich cultural, educational, and recreational opportunities that surround our sites in Albuquerque, NM, and Livermore, CA.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs: + Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide + Extraordinary co-workers + Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world + Career advancement and enrichment opportunities + Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home) + Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance* World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted. Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment. EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law. Job ID: 691377
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.