Research Associate I - Infectious Disease - Heung Lab
- Cedars Sinai
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7171752 (Ref #: HRC0235215F)
- Posting Date: Aug 4, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, Lena Heung, MD, PhD is looking for a Research Associate I to join her team!
The research of Lena Heung, MD, PhD, focuses on the roles of innate immune cells in the host response to respiratory fungal pathogens, in particular Cryptococcus neoformans. C. neoformans is an environmental fungus that can cause highly fatal lung and central nervous system infections in immunocompromised patients, including those with HIV/AIDS, cancer, solid organ transplantation and autoimmune conditions. The goal of Dr. Heung's research is to define the innate immune mechanisms that determine host outcomes after infection in order to facilitate the development of immunomodulatory therapies for susceptible patients.
Are you a passionate and dedicated research professional?
Working under direct supervision, as a Research Associate I, you will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents and keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Will assist in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery and observe safety standards and procedures. You will be able to perform routine cellular, micro- and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Organize and maintain mouse lines specific to the lab of Dr. Lena Heung.
- Perform animal work including infections, injections, and tissue harvest as well as breeding, weaning, and genotyping of transgenic and knockout animals.
Other duties may include:
- Tissue culture, preparation of microbial cultures, ELISA, quantitative RT-PCR, flow cytometry, immunohistochemical and quantitative analysis of tissue samples, photography and computer cataloging of data as needed.
- Will assist other researchers as assigned.
Minimum of a Bachelors in a Science related field, required
Experience and Skillset:
- Understanding of general research objectives
- Working knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software
- Familiar with routine laboratory procedures and experimental protocols.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
Working Title: Research Associate I - Infectious Disease - Heung Lab
Department: Home Dept - Pulmonary
Business Entity: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Position Type: Per Diem
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$19.50 - $29.87