Research Associate II - Sharma Lab - Regenerative Medicine Institute
- Cedars Sinai
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7171746 (Ref #: HRC1349368)
- Posting Date: Aug 8, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Join Dr. Arun Sharma, Ph.D. and his research group as a Research Associate II in the Cedars-Sinai Regenerative Medicine Institute!
The mission of the Board of Governors Regenerative Medicine Institute aims to prevent and treat the world's most prevalent diseases through cell revitalization and transplantation.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
The Sharma Laboratory focuses on the application of human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) for modeling cardiovascular diseases in vitro. The lab applies ground breaking technologies including hiPSCs, CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing, cardiac microfluidic organ-chips, and cardiac organoids in our studies. In particular, we have used hiPSC-derived cardiomyocytes (heart muscle cells) to model cardiac viral infections during COVID-19, examine the developmental mechanisms underlying congenital heart disease, and understand ways to alleviate the cardiac toxicity caused by cancer drugs. From ongoing studies, we also have a unique background and interest in space biology, and notably ways that stem cell biology can intersect with this emerging field. For information and to learn more, please visit Sharma Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai
Working under direct supervision, the Research Associate II performs routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects. The Research Associate II will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. The Associate will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects. The Associate will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the PI and postdoctoral scientists on experimental design, animal studies and in vitro experiments.
- Participate in small and large animal surgeries, handling and sample collection, imaging and image analysis.
- May present projects and participate in the write-up of the publications.
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- Keeps accurate and detailed project records of experiments and results.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
Minimum of a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in biological science required.
Experience and Skills:
- One (1) year of laboratory experience is required, two (2) years preferred.
- Experience with routine laboratory procedures, experimental protocols, and overall lab organization.
- Working knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians and students.
- Scheduling flexibility and timeliness including evening, weekend, and holiday rotation commitments. Travel may be required.
Working Title: Research Associate II - Sharma Lab - Regenerative Medicine Institute
Department: Regenerative Medicine Inst
Business Entity: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$21.26 - $36.14