Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute (Lefer Group)
- Cedars Sinai
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7171695 (Ref #: HRC1363301)
- Posting Date: Aug 22, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
The Smidt Heart Institute reflects Cedars-Sinai's steadfast dedication to heart disease and research innovation giving patients access to the highest level of care. Year after year, thousands of people trust their hearts to Smidt Heart Institute at Cedars-Sinai. Our cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and niche care teams treat the full spectrum of heart disease and disorders, while our investigators continue to advance the field with groundbreaking, life-saving research. From genetic counseling and targeted drug therapies to a growing array of minimally invasive procedures, Cedars-Sinai continues to stand at the forefront of technology, innovation and discovery improving patient outcomes.
Join our team and use your skills with an organization known nationally for excellence in research!
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator and other Research Scientists, the Postdoctoral Scientist will perform routine and sophisticated laboratory procedures throughout training period. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols. Analyzes and interprets data. May assist in preparation of grant proposals. Participates in publications and presentations as author or co-author. Not responsible for generating grant funds.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Analyzes interpret, summarizes, and compiles data.
- Performs routine and sophisticated laboratory procedures throughout the training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- May observe MD-patient or MD-human research subject interactions as it pertains directly to research being performed.
- Perform surgical procedures on small animals related to cardiovascular disease models.
- Perform biochemical and basic molecular assays (protein concentration, ELISA Assays, Western Blots, rtPCR).
- Basic proteomic sample preparation techniques.
- Tissue Biobank skills.
- Experience, knowledge, and curiosity about cardiovascular disease.
- Experience in in-vitro tissue assays and mitochondrial function assays.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
- 1 year experience Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Experience in the areas of heart failure, vascular diseases, and/or cardoprotection is helpful, but not required.
- Experience and knowledge in the areas of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide biochemistry, signaling, pharmacology, and physiology in preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated scientific writing and presentation skills required.
- Knowledge of statistical software and analyses.
- Able to perform moderate lifting.
- Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time.
- Able to read papers and online documents.
- Able to operate standard office equipment.
- Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform crucial job functions.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Smidt Heart Institute (Lefer Group)
Department: Heart Institute Operations
Business Entity: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category: Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$64,500.00 - $93,600.00