Postdoctoral Fellow – J. Michael Stolley Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7161724 (Ref #: ccf18898316)
- Posting Date: Aug 10, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Stolley Lab, located in the department of Inflammation and Immunity at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute, seeks a motivated postdoctoral scientist to conduct research at the confluence of immunology and oral biology. The mouth encompasses a truly unique constellation of barrier, absorptive, secretory, and chemosensory tissues, and is continuously bombarded by myriad environmental, chemical, mechanical, and pathogenic insults. However, in contrast to other mucosal locations (e.g., the gut), the immunobiology of the oral mucosa remains comparatively underexplored.
The Stolley lab is broadly interested in understanding how immune cells integrate within the distinctive environment of the mouth to mediate local immunosurveillance and tissue homeostasis. Specifically, we seek to characterize how T cell responses in the oral mucosa impact periodontal health, saliva production/composition, chemoreception (taste and smell), and the oral microbiota. Furthermore, we are interested in co-opting the inflammatory functions of mouth-resident T cells against oral cancer.
Established August 2023, the Stolley Lab leverages mouse models of periodontitis, oral infection, and oral cancer to fill these knowledge gaps with the goal of translating our findings into novel therapeutic strategies to improve human oral health.
Principal Investigator: J. Michael Stolley, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Inflammation & Immunity
Lab Research Topics:
- T cell biology
- Oral Mucosal Immunology
- Chemosensory biology
- Oral Cancer
- For more information about the lab’s research, please contact Dr. Michael Stolley at [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Plan and perform independent experiments
- Analyze and interpret data
- Report findings and prepare and manuscripts
- Help maintain laboratory operations
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Previous experience working with mice
- Flow cytometry and microscopy experience
- Good communication skills
- Previous publications in high-impact journals
- Previous experience with mouse necropsy
- Ability to perform work in a stationary position for extended periods
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate and exchange accurate information
- Ability to distinguish color
- Manual dexterity to handle specimens and repair equipment
- Ability to lift and transport equipment or specimens weighing up to 20 pounds
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, bio-hazards, radioactive materials, etc.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
- 1-2 page research statement
- Contact information for three referees
- All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Michael Stolley at [email protected].
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Saliva, Complement, Autoimmunity, Sjogren's, Behavior, Animal, Resident memory, Adaptive immunity, Gum disease, OSCC, Immunotherapy
Minimum hourly: $0.01
Maximum hourly: $333,340.26
The pay range displayed on this job posting reflects the anticipated range for new hires. While the pay range is displayed as an hourly rate, Cleveland Clinic recruiters will clarify whether the compensation is hourly or salary. A successful candidate's actual compensation will be determined after taking factors into consideration such as the candidate's work history, experience, skill set, and education. This is not inclusive of the value of Cleveland Clinic's benefits package, which includes among other benefits, healthcare/dental/vision and retirement.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.