Postdoctoral Fellow – Jeannette Messer Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7161538 (Ref #: ccf18888637)
- Posting Date: Aug 9, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Messer laboratory works at the interface between the microbiota and host tissues to understand how healthy host-microbe relationships develop and how they break down in disease. We study infectious and inflammatory diseases at the gut and lung mucosal barriers and investigate how disease that starts at the barrier radiates throughout the body. Our philosophy is that people perform their best work in a supportive environment that challenges them to grow while they are interested and engaged by their work. We strive to provide this environment.
The ideal candidate for this position will have completed, or be close to completing, a Ph.D. degree (or clinical equivalent (M.D., D.V.M, D.D.S., etc.) with at least one year of research experience). Additionally, competitive candidates will have experience in animal and cellular models of infectious or inflammatory disease and microbiology. Experience in flow cytometry, immunofluorescence microscopy, molecular biology, techniques to interrogate complex microbiota, and protein-protein interaction assays is desirable, but not required.
Principal Investigator: Jeannette Messer, DVM, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Inflammation and Immunity
Lab Research Topics:
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases
- Mucosal barrier defense
- Host-microbe interactions
- Microbiology and innate immunity
- Therapeutic development
- For more information about the lab’s research, please contact Dr. Messer at [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Animal models -including gnotobiotics
- Cell culture -mammalian and microbial
- Immunological and microbiological assays
- Translational work involving patient samples
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Desire to work in a dynamic, team-oriented atmosphere.
- Self-directed and highly detail oriented.
- Ability to perform work in a stationary position for extended periods
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate and exchange accurate information
- Ability to distinguish color
- Manual dexterity to handle specimens and repair equipment
- Ability to lift and transport equipment or specimens weighing up to 20 pounds
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, bio-hazards, radioactive materials, etc.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Dr. Messer at [email protected]
- Research Statement (scientific area(s) of interest, goals for fellowship, and career ambitions)
- Contact information for 3 references
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Host defense, Immunology, Microbiome, Drug, Antibody, Bacteria, Virus, Fungi, Protozoa, Virulence, Lung, Intestine, Inflammatory bowel disease
Minimum hourly: $0.01
Maximum hourly: $333,340.26
The pay range displayed on this job posting reflects the anticipated range for new hires. While the pay range is displayed as an hourly rate, Cleveland Clinic recruiters will clarify whether the compensation is hourly or salary. A successful candidate's actual compensation will be determined after taking factors into consideration such as the candidate's work history, experience, skill set, and education. This is not inclusive of the value of Cleveland Clinic's benefits package, which includes among other benefits, healthcare/dental/vision and retirement.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.