Hoffman Nonproliferation Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7161398 (Ref #: 89313)
- Posting Date: Aug 8, 2023
- Salary / Pay Rate: 110,000 per year
Division: CH-Chemical Sciences
Join the team at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Glenn T. Seaborg Center as a Darleane C. Hoffman Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellow and contribute to the NextGen Nonproliferation Leadership Development Program (https://nextgen.lbl.gov/). We are seeking exceptional individuals who are passionate about advancing nuclear nonproliferation through fundamental research. This position offers the opportunity to work alongside scientific leaders dedicated to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) National Nuclear Security Administration’s nonproliferation mission.
What You Will Do:
• Conceive, develop, and execute novel hypothesis-based experimental and/or theoretical work in scientific fields related to nuclear nonproliferation.
• Utilize and maintain existing equipment and facilities for research purposes.
• Analyze complex experimental results, promptly adjusting research plans as needed.
• Demonstrate excellent scientific communication skills by preparing manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals and delivering oral presentations at scientific meetings and conferences.
• Collaborate and communicate effectively with colleagues, including experimentalists, theorists, and other research groups at LBNL and UC Berkeley Campus.
• Contribute to maintaining high safety standards and infrastructure at Berkeley Lab.
• Actively participate in group seminars, project meetings, and career development activities within Berkeley Lab.
• Engage in Career Development, Scientific Leadership, and Nuclear Nonproliferation programming designed specifically for the NextGen Nonproliferation Leadership Development Program.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, material sciences, engineering, nuclear chemistry, radiochemistry, inorganic chemistry, chemical engineering, nuclear chemical engineering, nuclear physics, nuclear engineering, data science, AI/ML or a related discipline.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Track record of superior academic accomplishments evidenced by scientific publications and presentations.
• Independent research skills with a high level of scientific judgment.
• Knowledge of safety protocols, regulations, and best practices in a laboratory or research setting.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively within a diverse research team.
• Strong interest in nuclear nonproliferation research and development.
• Eligibility to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, including U.S. citizenship and the ability to provide required information and documents if selected as a potential fellow.
Required Application Materials:
• Curriculum vitae - including three references’ who are familiar with the candidate's capabilities and research.
• Cover letter - briefly describing candidate’s background, previous research experience as it relates to NextGen research areas, their interest in the nuclear nonproliferation mission of the US government, their career to date, and their long-range career goals.
• Summary of Ph.D thesis (1 page)
This position will remain open until filled.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time 2 years, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• The annual salary for this position is $110,000 per year + a $10,000 signing bonus.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
• Position will be cleared to level Q. Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE Q clearance will be processed/granted.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=264977 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.