Postdoctoral Appointee - Statistical Sciences
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Location: Albuquerque, NM
- Job Number: 7161187 (Ref #: 691000)
- Posting Date: Aug 4, 2023
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs: + Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide + Extraordinary co-workers + Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world + Career advancement and enrichment opportunities + Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home) + Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance* World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification. What Your Job Will Be Like: We are seeking a driven and results-oriented Postdoctoral Appointee for our Statistical Sciences and Statistics & Data Analytics departments to perform statistical analysis and methodology development for our highly dedicated and mission focused team. We inform the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data to help Sandia execute its mission. The selected applicant will engage in project participation, applied research and development, statistical consulting, instructing, and collaboration. On any given day, you may be called on to: + Perform as part of a technical team conducting creative statistical research. + Collaborate on interdisciplinary teams to provide statistical expertise on data collection and analysis, methodology development, and applied statistical research. + Work with principal investigators to develop advanced research ideas and craft those into original research proposals. + Publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed journals and present results at conference meetings. *Candidates applying on this requisition may be interviewed and/or hired into one of the departments in 5570
- depending on their strengths, experience and program needs. Qualifications We Require: + Ph.D. in Statistics, Mathematics, or closely related field conferred within five (5) years prior to employment + Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q clearance Qualifications We Desire: + Proficiency with varied communication methods, including oral presentation, preparation of high-impact visual presentations, written reports, and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely + Experience in: + learning or working in an interdisciplinary environment + acquiring, preparing, and analyzing real world data + general-purpose programming language + Ability to prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects within appropriate scope and timeframe + Interest and experience in maintaining a positive team environment About Our Team: We provide innovative statistical solutions to help tackle the most complicated national security problems and are leaders in the advancement of statistical techniques for national defense applications. Through research, collaboration, and education we inform the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data to help Sandia execute its missions. We develop and deploy statistical algorithms to significantly improve national security capabilities. Areas of emphasis include probabilistic modeling and computer simulation, Bayesian statistics, industrial statistics, spatial data analysis, functional data analysis, machine learning, reliability and maintainability analysis, and uncertainty analysis. Posting Duration: This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted. Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment. EEO: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law. NNSA Requirements for MedPEDs: If you have a Medical Portable Electronic Device (MedPED), such as a pacemaker, defibrillator, drug-releasing pump, hearing aids, or diagnostic equipment and other equipment for measuring, monitoring, and recording body functions such as heartbeat and brain waves, if employed by Sandia National Laboratories you may be required to comply with NNSA security requirements for MedPEDs. If you have a MedPED and you are selected for an on-site interview at Sandia National Laboratories, there may be additional steps necessary to ensure compliance with NNSA security requirements prior to the interview date. Position Information: This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment. Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance. Job ID: 691000
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.