Postdoctoral Fellow – Jan Claesen Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7161102 (Ref #: ccf18854184)
- Posting Date: Aug 3, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Postdoctoral Fellow – Gut microbiome
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow with expertise in the areas of bacterial molecular genetics, synthetic organic chemistry, or infectious disease biology to investigate metabolites driving microbe-host interactions in the microbiome. You will join the Claesen group at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute and Center for Microbiome and Human Health. Visit us at: https://claesengroup.org/
Our group’s aim is to functionally characterize molecular mechanisms that control bacterial interspecies and microbe-host interactions in the human microbiome. Bacteria use small molecule chemicals to mediate these interactions and the genetic information required for their production is typically encoded in one physical location of the bacterial chromosome, in biosynthetic gene clusters (BGCs). Using in silico techniques, we identified several widespread families of BGCs that we are now characterizing experimentally, prioritizing on the BGCs predicted to be involved in modulation of community composition or interaction with the host immune system. Our research will contribute to a better mechanistic understanding of the microbes that live in our body, leading to the discovery of druggable small molecules, new targets for antibacterial therapy and beneficial bacterial strains that can be employed for intervention therapies.
You will have (or are close to obtaining) a PhD degree in a relevant (bio)chemical or biological subject and a good publication record in peer-reviewed scientific journals. You’re a motivated and creative scientist with hands-on experience in any of the following areas: bacterial molecular genetics, synthetic organic chemistry, biochemical enzyme assays, (germ-free) mouse infection/colonization models or microbiome science.
The areas of expertise in the Claesen group include microbiology, bacterial genetics and synthetic biology, small molecule biosynthesis and biochemistry, and animal models for microbiome studies of metabolic disease and cancer development. We provide a stimulating, multidisciplinary training environment that will assist you in your successful scientific development. You will receive a competitive salary and benefits package, and have access to state-of-the-art core facilities in the Lerner Research Institute (http://www.lerner.ccf.org/), as well as plenty of opportunities for clinical collaboration at the Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland living is affordable and family friendly, offering a range in activities that include amazing nature parks, museums, major professional sports teams, an extensive theater district and blooming microbrewery scene.
How to apply
Contact Dr. Jan Claesen ([email protected]) for more info. To apply, please email your CV, a brief summary of research interests (no more than 2 pages) and contact information for 3 references.
Principal Investigator: Jan Claesen, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Cardiovascular & Metabolic Sciences
Lab Research Topics:
- Human gut microbiome
- Bioactive molecules
- For more information about the lab’s research, please visit: https://claesengroup.org/ or contact Dr. Claesen at [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Cloning and expression of biosynthetic gene clusters
- Biochemical characterization of gene cluster products
- In vitro and in vivo validation of bioactivity
- Participate in group meetings and activities
- PhD required
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
- Ability to perform work in a stationary position for extended periods
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate and exchange accurate information
- Ability to distinguish color
- Manual dexterity to handle specimens and repair equipment
- Ability to lift and transport equipment or specimens weighing up to 20 pounds
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, bio-hazards, radioactive materials, etc.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Jan Claesen at [email protected].
- Short (1-2 page) research interests
- List with 3 references
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Microbiome, Microbiology, Gut, Bacteria, Bioactive molecules natural products, Biosynthesis, Gene clusters, Colon cancer, Metabolic syndrome, Diabetes, Bacterial infection
Minimum hourly: $0.01
Maximum hourly: $333,340.26
The pay range displayed on this job posting reflects the anticipated range for new hires. While the pay range is displayed as an hourly rate, Cleveland Clinic recruiters will clarify whether the compensation is hourly or salary. A successful candidate's actual compensation will be determined after taking factors into consideration such as the candidate's work history, experience, skill set, and education. This is not inclusive of the value of Cleveland Clinic's benefits package, which includes among other benefits, healthcare/dental/vision and retirement.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.