Postdoctoral Appointee - NST Electron & X-Ray Microscopy
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, USA
- Job Number: 7160181 (Ref #: 416198)
- Posting Date: Jul 26, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Center for Nanoscale Materials (CNM) at Argonne National Laboratory in Lemont, IL is looking for a postdoctoral candidate to perform research on acoustic-electric coupling in 2D transition metal dichalcogenides (TMD) using time-resolved x-ray and electron microscopy.
The successful candidate would be part of a dynamic team, working with a group of scientists conducting a wide range of basic research using state-of-the-art nanofabrication tools and the ultrafast electron microscope (UEM) at the CNM as well as the hard x-ray nanoprobe beamline (HXN) at the Advanced Photon Source (APS).
The candidate will primarily be responsible for developing an experimental program that uses stroboscopic diffraction imaging to study the interaction between acoustically-induced strain waves and photo-generated carriers in 2D TMD materials. The candidate will also collaborate with other members at the CNM, APS and Northwestern University, to seek research opportunities involving nanoscale strain imaging of monolayer 2D materials, taking full advantage of the diffraction-limit source at the billion-dollar APS-Upgrade infrastructure.
The candidate shall publish results in refereed journals and make oral presentations at meetings conferences, symposia, and seminars. They shall maintain cognizance of available techniques and expertise in related research groups through interactions and collaborative efforts. They shall report on experiment progress, technique development, and new initiatives to peer reviewers and to program manager.
- Candidates must have a PhD in Physics or related field; achieved within the last 3 years or upcoming year.
- A strong background in basic or applied research in one of the following fields is preferred: materials science, nanotechnology, condensed matter physics.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong skills in collaboration and ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
- Ability to perform advanced data analysis using python or MATLAB.
- Experience with x-ray or electron microscopy techniques.
- Research experience with 2D TMD materials and devices.
- Research experience with surface acoustic wave devices or nano-phononics.
- Experience with developing and carrying out synchrotron x-ray diffraction experiments.
- Experience with x-ray, electron, or optical stroboscopic time-resolved experiments.
- Experience with techniques for strain manipulation in 2D materials.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.