Machine Learning/Drug Discovery/Molecular Interactions Postdoctoral Fellow
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Location: Tampa, FL
- Job Number: 7143220
- Posting Date: May 2, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We seek a creative and motivated postdoctoral researcher with background in molecular interactions and machine learning to join the team of Dr. Aleksandra Karolak. Our current projects focus on applications and development of AI to study structure and interactions of biomolecules, DNA and proteins mutations, and design of novel therapeutics. If your background overlaps and if you are interested in understanding e.g., impact of DNA damage on responses to treatment, genome conformation or protein mutations, or identification of novel compounds to treat cancer – we encourage you to apply. We have exciting opportunities for you within our team at the institution that will strongly support your scientific growth and future successes.
The Molecular AI Group in the Machine Learning Department at Moffitt combines multidisciplinary and multiscale approaches from the fields of chemistry, biology, machine learning, information theory, and mathematical oncology, to advance cancer research. We collaborate with the departments of gastrointestinal oncology and molecular medicine/drug discovery. We also actively collaborate with the extramural oncology centers and academic institutions.
To learn more about the exciting work being done visit: http://lab.moffitt.org/KAROLAK
• Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
• The position is essential for development of comprehensive tools benefiting basic to clinical research through 1) identification of novel approaches and biomarkers to treat cancer, and 2) through the improved stratification of cancer patients.
• The position offers vibrant and interactive work environment in the Quantitative Science Division and results will bring value beyond the community of Moffitt patients.
• Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
• You will be encouraged and supported to apply for training grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
• High motivation and desire to be part of multidisciplinary group, good work ethics.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
• Documented experience with machine learning concepts, tools, and applications.
• High proficiency with at least one of the programming languages and statistical packages.
• Deep knowledge and documented expierence with processing of biological data sources and databases (e.g., various omics data, drug libraries)
• Documented experience with concepts underlying structure, folding, interactions between proteins, DNA, and/or small molecules.
• Preferable experience in modeling of biomolecules, AI-enabled interaction networks, and AI-aided drug design.
• Preferable knowledge of cancer biology.
• Experience with extraction, handling, and processing of large data sets.
• Data preparation, organization, and analysis.
• Development of new and tuning of existing models and analytical approaches.
• Presentation of data and results in a clear and concise manner.
• Active participation in the group meetings and meetings with the collaborating teams.
• Ability to work with the team and independently.
• Supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
• Preparation of grant applications, publications, and presentations.
• Meeting project goals.
Credentials and Qualifications:
• Ph.D. degree and research experience in the fields of machine learning, computer science in biomedical applications or related field of study.
• At least one first-author publication.
Interested applicants should submit a current CV with recent publications, a cover letter summarizing their research training and accomplishments, and contact information for three references.
Moffitt Postdocs are provided with Medical (Moffitt covers premium for team member) effective upon start date and eligible for Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. You may be eligible for relocation assitance per policy. Reason to relocate, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city that provides its residents a high quality of life. The Tampa Bay area has become a hub for ground-breaking research, welcoming individuals from around the globe. This diverse city is engulfed with rich culture, year-round activities for all, beautiful beaches, amazing cuisine and so much more.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission,
then we have a place for you.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. Moffitt seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.