- Washington Research Foundation
- Location: WA
- Job Number: 7143033
- Posting Date: May 1, 2023
- Salary / Pay Rate: $70,000 annual starting salary
- Application Deadline: Jun 26, 2023
WRF supports up to 12 new postdoctoral scientists each year at research institutions in Washington state. Fellows conduct transformative research on projects that have the potential for real-world impact in natural sciences and engineering-related disciplines. Our program seeks to cultivate the creative talents of outstanding researchers in Washington state at a critical time in their careers and helps them to achieve excellence for the duration of our fellowship and beyond. Our ultimate goal is for our fellows’ research to benefit the public, through enabling innovative discoveries that eventually lead to the creation of new products, services or practices.
• Fellowships include three years of salary support for the postdoc at an eligible research institution in Washington state. The salary for the first year is $70,000, increasing to $72,500 for the second year and $75,000 for the third year. Benefits are also covered as per institutional policies
• Fellows receive an additional $5,000 of funding per year that can be used for research supplies, equipment and/or travel
• Fellows may choose a start date of January 1, April 1, July 1 or October 1, 2024 to commence their funding
• Fellows participate in an annual WRF Postdoctoral Fellowship Symposium
• Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
• Fellowships must be completed at an eligible research institution in Washington state
• Candidates must have completed a doctorate from an accredited graduate program prior to commencement of their fellowship
• Applicants must have a doctoral degree in a discipline related to natural sciences, engineering, computer or information science and mathematics. Proposed projects must also be related to these disciplines, and preference will be given to projects in life sciences and enabling technologies
• Applicants cannot have completed more than two years of postdoctoral training at the time of submitting their applications
• Applicants cannot hold a faculty position at the time they expect to commence their fellowship
• Candidates must submit a written application by June 26, 2023 via WRF’s website
• Applicants will be required to submit 2 – 3 letters of recommendation. The letters of recommendation must be received by the posted deadline
• Applications will be screened by the Selection Committee, which will shortlist candidates for interviews. Applicants will be notified about interview decisions by email by the dates posted on our website
• Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview with 2 – 3 members of the selection committee. During the interview, candidates will be required to prepare a 20-minute presentation of their proposed project
• If selected for an interview, candidates must have identified the institution and lab in which they will conduct their research. A letter of support from their prospective PI will be required
• Applicants will be notified about final decisions by email by the dates posted on our website
• Proposed research project – innovation, creativity, long-term impact and public benefit
• Creativity in past research – demonstration of problem-solving ability
• Education – demonstration of aptitude for success in proposed area of research
• Resilience – demonstration of drive, persistence, leadership skills in education and work history
• Letters of support
Please note: Applications will not be accepted through this site and must be submitted via the link on WRF’s website.
Additional information is available at https://www.wrfseattle.org/grants/wrf-postdoctoral-fellowships/.
Washington Research Foundation values diversity. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our staff, our board of directors, and the researchers, entrepreneurs and organizations we fund. Our postdoctoral fellowship program is committed to reflecting our values. We encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply for the fellowship, and particularly welcome applications from candidates who have traditionally been underrepresented in higher education. We strive to implement an application process that is equitable and free from bias.