- Augusta University
- Location: Augusta, GA
- Job Number: 7139222 (Ref #: ej-4082341)
- Posting Date: Apr 7, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job ID: 237417
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Augusta University is Georgia's innovation center for education and health care, training the next generation of innovators, leaders, and healthcare providers in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state. More than 9,000 students choose Augusta for educational opportunities at the center of Georgia's cybersecurity hub and experiential learning that blends arts and application, humanities, and the health sciences. Augusta is home to Georgia's only public academic health center, where groundbreaking research is creating a healthier, more prosperous Georgia, and world-class clinicians are bringing the medicine of tomorrow to patient care today.
Augusta University - Our Health Sciences Campus: 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912
Established in the summer of 2002, the Center for Biotechnology and Genomic Medicine (CBGM) at the Medical College of Georgia (MCG) at Augusta University (AU) was developed to promote interdisciplinary and translational research in Biotechnology and Genomic Medicine with the ultimate goal of promoting predictive, preventive, personalized and participatory (4P) medicine. The Center's research efforts focus on two main areas: 1) discovery and validation of biomarkers for disease prediction and diagnosis, 2) pharmacomics and drug discovery for personalized medicine. CBGM is home of four internationally renowned programs in diabetes research: The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young (TEDDY), the Prospective Assessment in Newborns of Diabetes Autoimmunity (PANDA), the Diabetic Complications Consortium (DiaComp) and the Mouse Metabolic Phenotype Consortium (MMPC). Additional research programs include autoimmune diseases, transplantation, and cancer. These research programs are supported by an annual extramural funding of approximately $12 million. The center houses several state-of-the-art high throughput and high content facilities for genetics, genomics, proteomics, drug screening and bioinformatics. The center continues to recruit independent investigators with expertise in diverse disciplines such as genomics, proteomics, immunology, medicinal chemistry, drug development, biostatistics and computational biology. This multidisciplinary approach provides an avenue for investigators to interact and stimulate novel ideas.
A training position designed to learn through engagement in an advanced level of scientific technical and administrative work in support of research efforts in an assigned laboratory or clinical research setting. Participate in research data collection and documentation within relevant guidelines and protocols; develop and evaluate new research techniques and procedures; publish results in scientific journals. Perform a variety of complex chemical, biological, cytologic, microscopic, histologic, surgical, clinical, statistical/computational and dissection procedures.
The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Analyze results of experiments and procedures using manual or computer techniques and, if necessary, develop special computer programs to facilitate analysis. Teach and participate in complex bacteriological, chemical and/.or radio-chemical qualitative and quantitative analysis, macro- and micro-serological, histologic and cell culture procedures.
- Participate in project planning and development of research protocols while insuring adherence to accepted scientific research principles and compliance with relevant federal guidelines.
- Coordinate and participate in research of scientific literature; summarize and evaluate findings; develop derivative applications of applications of techniques developed by own research activities or reported by other research projects. Present findings at scientific meetings locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Compose articles for publication in scientific journals; Review articles prepared by others.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of students, graduate assistants and other research personnel engaged in research activities and/or related laboratory work. Advise principal investigators, other PostDocs, students, and other research personnel on research techniques, procedures and other technological aspects of research activities.
- Calibrate, troubleshoot, repair and operate microscopes, computer-linked analytical equipment, dedicated computers and other complex scientific equipment; instruct others in operation of equipment.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Ph.D. or equivalent from an accredited college or university.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Ability to complete work and to meet deadlines
Willingness and ability to work with research animals
Ability to work independently with only general supervision
Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
Detail-oriented with strong prioritization and organizational skills
Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases or willingness to learn
Shift: Days; Monday - Friday (Work outside of normal business hours may be required)
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: Until Filled
Augusta University offers a variety of benefits to full-time benefits-eligible employees and some of our half-time (or more) employees.
Benefits that may be elected could include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, Teachers Retirement System (or Optional Retirement Plan), as well as earned vacation time, sick leave, and 13 paid holidays.
Also, our full-time employees who have been employed with us successfully for more than 6 months can be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program. Consider applying with us today!
Conditions of Employment
All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.
All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during the course of their employment and beyond.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer-friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner every day with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco-free environment, and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.
How To Apply
Consider applying with us today! https://www.augusta.edu/hr/jobs/Select University Faculty & Staff > External Applicants if you are a candidate from outside the universitySelect University Faculty & Staff > Internal Applicants if you are a current university employee If you need further assistance, please contact us at 706-721-9365
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=12000&JobOpeningId=237417&PostingSeq=1