Postdoctoral Fellow - Microbiology Research
- City of Hope
- Location: Duarte, CA
- Job Number: 7138263 (Ref #: 10021017)
- Posting Date: Apr 6, 2023
- Salary / Pay Rate: $31.00 - $34.23 / hour
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes, and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds, and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available in the laboratory of Edwin R. Manuel, PhD, at City of Hope, Beckman Research Center, Monrovia, CA.
Our lab is interested in utilizing tumor-colonizing, bacterial-based agents as novel immunotherapy for solid and hematologic malignancies. We are recruiting enthusiastic, motivated scientists who are seeking a fast-paced academic research environment. Our lab in the Department of Immuno-Oncology focuses on engineering tumor-colonizing bacteria to target components of the tumor microenvironment that contribute poor drug delivery, immune suppression and cancer metabolism.
In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, candidates will have the opportunity to learn and to develop research publications and presentations, independent grant applications, and independent projects that they can take with them when they leave the lab.
· Design, perform and lead projects involving optimization of bacterial-based agents designed to elicit tumor-specific immunity, enhance drug delivery, and suppress cancer metabolism.
· Coordinate lab tasks and operations among multiple lab members, including ordering, inventory, and other essential lab functions.
· Prepare laboratory reagents, chemicals, instruments, and maintain equipment.
· Keep detailed and accurate logs of experiments from conception to analysis, as well as of lab inventory and mouse colonies.
· Record data meticulously and analyze and synthesize results using industry standard application suites.
· Help to prepare presentations and manuscripts for publication.
· Initiate and maintain collaborations with other labs.
· Travel to meetings to represent the lab and to present new data.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
· Ph.D. in immunology or related field.
· Expertise with flow cytometry, immunologic assays, cell culture, basic microbiology and molecular biology techniques is ideal.
· Experience with high-resolution imaging platforms and mass cytometry (CyTOF) or mass spectrometry is a plus.
· Ideal candidates will be highly motivated and have ambitions to further develop scientific and career skills. They will have a desire to be challenged and to learn new scientific strategies and techniques.
Salary / Pay Rate Information:
Pay Rate: $31.00 - $34.23 / hour
The estimated pay scale represents the typical [salary/hourly] range City of Hope reasonably expects to pay for this position, with offers determined based on several factors which may include, but not be limited to, the candidate’s experience, expertise, skills, education, job scope, training, internal equity, geography/market, etc. This pay scale is subject to change from time to time.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.