CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Biomedical Polymers
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Job Number: 7135202 (Ref #: cj_91861)
- Posting Date: Mar 21, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in a relevant discipline area, such as chemistry (organic and/or polymer), materials science, biomedical engineering or chemical engineering?
- Work closely with industry from start-ups to multinationals to develop biomaterials and medical devices and solve real-world problems.
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The CERC Fellow will join a multidisciplinary team and will contribute to one or more commercially focussed projects. They will work closely with industry from start-ups to multinationals to develop biomaterials and medical devices and solve real-world problems. This may involve engaging with prospective clients, preparing research proposals, performing research projects, as well as reviewing and reporting on the research outcomes.
Experimental work is likely to involve the design, synthesis and characterization of novel monomers and polymers, and their fabrication into medical devices (eg. 3D Printing) as well as assessing their performance.
Your duties will include:
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progress opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Recording, managing, and analysing data/information using relevant domain data science techniques.
- Presenting results in a meaningful format, prepare reports for clients and/or write scientific papers for publication.
- Communicating openly, effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Working collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, and business unit to carry out tasks in support of CSIRO’s scientific objectives.
- Proactively undertaking development to grow effective researcher capabilities to support career goals.
Location: Clayton, VIC
Salary: AU$92k - AU$101k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as chemistry (organic and/or polymer), materials science, biomedical engineering or chemical engineering. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct innovative research in chemistry, biomaterials and/or medical devices.
- Demonstrated experience in general characterisation techniques, such as NMR, FTIR, UV-Vis, GPC, rheology, TGA, DSC, mechanical testing and microscopy techniques including SEM, TEM, and demonstrated ability to learn new instrumentation techniques.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens; Australian Permanent Residents; and Australian temporary residents who are currently residing in Australia.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter that includes a written response to the selection criteria and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
24 April 2023, 11:00pm AEST
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com