CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Magmatic (-Hydrothermal) Ore Systems
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Perth, Australia
- Job Number: 7126636 (Ref #: cj_91452)
- Posting Date: Feb 27, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in magmatic (-hydrothermal) ore deposits, igneous petrology or applied mineralogy to ore deposits?
- Keen to research the study of magmatic and magmatic-hydrothermal ore deposits and mineralising processes?
- Join our Ore Deposit Petrology Team for this exciting postdoctoral role
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The position of the Magmatic (-Hydrothermal) Ore System CSIRO Early Research Career Fellow (CERC) is based within the ore deposit petrology team and will be primarily focused on the study of magmatic and magmatic-hydrothermal ore-deposits and mineralising processes linked with Ni, Cu, Co, PGEs and extending towards other critical minerals, such as Li pegmatites – ore deposits that provide essential metals for the transition New Energy. Research will be focused on gaining a better understanding of the genetic processes leading to ore bodies within these systems, and how these processes can be recorded in the mineralogy and the chemistry of ores, their host rocks and therein contained minerals, sampled through a range of media (e.g., in rock, or as resistate material in regolith).
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Utilising design thinking methodology to plan and prepare research proposals, and applying non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
- Carrying out research investigations requiring originality, creativity, and innovation.
- Recording, managing and analysing data/information using relevant domain data science techniques.
Location: Kensington, Western Australia
Salary: AU$92k - AU$101k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as magmatic (-hydrothermal) ore deposits, igneous petrology, or applied mineralogy to ore deposits. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A proven record using a range of analytical methods including but not limited to Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and/or SEM-based quantification of mineral assemblages, or Electron Microprobe Analyzer (EMPA), or Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasms Spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS).
- Demonstrated ability to identify, design and execute appropriate analytical approaches and workflows to optimally characterise an ore body.
- Experience working with ore deposits especially in the understanding of the formation, architecture and footprint of Ni, Cu, (±Co, ±PGE) deposits.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a multidisciplinary and diverse research team, and the motivation and discipline to carry out independent research to achieve organisational goals.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
29 March 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com