- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Adelaide, Australia
- Job Number: 7123469 (Ref #: cj_91618)
- Posting Date: Feb 8, 2023
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
CSIRO’s Quantum Technology priorities are a rare opportunity to access world-class research facilities and influence the development of new cutting-edge technologies in quantum sensing, quantum communication and quantum computation.
We need early to mid-career researchers and post-doctoral fellows in science and engineering to solve impossible problems and apply their skills to CSIRO’s quantum priority areas:
Quantum materials and devices
- Material synthesis and characterisation. Low dimensional thin films and new nanomaterials can be engineered to exploit quantum effects to be used to develop disruptive nano-electronics with low energy consumption and novel functionalities.
- Sensing and devices. Exploiting the fragility of quantum states we can use them as ultrasensitive measurement of very weak signals such as electromagnetic fields, gravity etc.
- At-scale quantum device production. Working in partnership with governments, industry, end users and academia to navigate towards national-scale facilities to produce quantum devices for commercial applications into global export markets.
Emerging quantum opportunities
- Quantum biology. Developing new quantum understanding and technologies and applying them to biology will help unravel the biggest fundamental questions of living systems, with importance to clean energy technologies, agricultural productivity, and to the detection and treatment of disease.
- Emergent quantum phenomena. Emergent phenomena arise from effects in collections of objects in a system rather than the individual objects. In Quantum examples are superconductivity, the quantum Hall effect, and Bose-Einstein condensation. These systems provide technological opportunities in quantum computing, quantum batteries, and quantum materials.
- Quantum entrepreneurship: Identifying applications and use cases for quantum technologies and transitioning these to end users in government and industry.
- Social sciences: applied research into the societal and ethical aspects of the uptake of quantum technologies across multiple sectors to support responsible innovation
Quantum computing, modeling and algorithms
- Quantum security: Quantum computers and quantum computation has huge potential to deliver impactful solutions to Australia and the world. Understanding the cybersecurity threats from quantum and responding with quantum-secure cryptography is crucial.
- Quantum algorithms and applications. Designing innovative quantum algorithms which can tackle new and exciting complex computational problems in the fields of machine learning, data science, climate science, health and logistic optimisation problems.
- Quantum software platforms. Development of hardware-agnostic software platforms with in-built capabilities of compilation, error mitigation/correction and hardware mapping will expedite the practicality of quantum computing for real-world applications.
- Modeling. Armed with the right algorithms and understanding, we can use a quantum computers to model, simulate and design new and improved chemicals and materials as well as the processes used to synthesise them.
Visit Quantum Careers for more detail on the specific capabilities, skills and expertise we are seeking. Not all roles require previous experience in a quantum related field and we are highly interested in domain experts to bring new cross-disciplinary ideas to quantum technologies.
For more information, please visit our Quantum technology page.
Your skills and profile:
We seek individuals with expertise from a broad range of scientific and engineering fields that can be applied to novel quantum technologies. We encourage applications from theoreticians, computer scientists, physicists, engineers, biologists, materials scientists, and entrepreneurs. Beyond your research skills, we welcome applicants with experience or interest in entrepreneurship and industry engagement to develop future applications and use cases for quantum technologies.
You will have either completed a PhD, Master of Science or Master of Engineering in a science, engineering, or research discipline relevant to Quantum Technology and have three years relevant work experience. Or, you will have completed a PhD, Master of Science or Master of Engineering qualification within the last three years or will have a doctoral or master thesis submitted prior to commencement with CSIRO.
For Master of Science or Master of Engineering graduates you must also have equivalent levels of original and significant contributions to research and development to that expected of a new PhD graduate.
Your qualifications are essential for the current opportunities, but we are also looking for more unique skills to bring new ways of thinking, problem solving and leadership to contribute to CSIRO quantum priority areas and culture.
How we deliver progress and change are important.
An ability to recognise and exploit opportunities to carry out original, creative, and innovative research is essential. Your design thinking and desire to generate impact will drive creativity, innovation and evolve our approach to unlocking a better future for everyone.
By thinking beyond specific research projects to apply individual knowledge, skills, and expertise you will contribute to and support the national innovation system.
Leveraging a broad network and relationships within national, global, trans-disciplinary and multi-stakeholder environments and collaborating with a diverse range of stakeholders, you will challenge current approaches and develop future research.
If you are seeking purpose, want to lead with vision and contribute to new research insights and future innovations, CSIRO could be the opportunity to connect with other like minds, as a trusted advisor building shared meaning and purpose.
Location: Australia Capital Cities with a CSIRO presence.
Salary: AU$87,068k - AU$111,165k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 3-year term
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
08 March 2023, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com