In Situ and Operando Ambient Pressure XPS Characterization Postdoc
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7118488 (Ref #: 71683)
- Posting Date: Dec 16, 2022
- Application Deadline: Jan 16, 2023
Division: CH-Chemical Sciences
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Chemical Sciences Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will employ in situ/operando spectroscopy characterization to study primarily solid/gas and solid/liquid electrochemical interfaces. The experimental research focus will be on the fundamental understanding of interfacial electrochemical processes primarily using ambient pressure X-ray spectroscopy (APXPS) at ALS. The types of systems we hope to explore will focus on a size-controlled oxides and molecular molecule electrodes for water electrolysis, fuel cells, and CO2 reduction.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct research using ambient pressure X-ray spectroscopy (APXPS) to reveal interfacial chemistry and potential profile insight of electrochemical reactions occurring at a solid/gas and solid/liquid interface for example, water splitting on tungsten oxide electrodes, and the electrochemical double layer.
• Utilize and advance experimental techniques, for example, synchrotron-based or lab-based X-ray measurements and other characterization tools to probe chemistry.
• Participate in weekly and biweekly meetings and seminars.
• Collaborate and work in teams of scientists from diverse backgrounds and play a key role in merging efforts that span electrochemistry, materials, characterization, and theory.
• Publish original research in peer-reviewed journals; contribute to scientific publications; present research through talks and posters at conferences, workshops, and multi-investigator meetings.
• Uphold a culture of safety and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, materials science, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or other related fields with electrochemistry and/or spectroscopy research focus.
• Strong background in electrochemistry or photoelectrochemistry, and electrochemical measurements.
• Strong background in X-ray spectroscopy
• Good motivation to work in a team with people from various background and research topics effectively
• Ability to work independently in developing electrochemical systems for in situ and operando spectroscopy measurements.
• Creative and independent problem solver with a track record of tackling research projects from initiation to meaningful conclusion.
• Proven ability to publish research in scientific/technical journals supported by a strong publication record.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience of working with ultra-high vacuum (UHV) chambers
For Consideration, please apply by Jan 16, 2023 with the following application materials:
• Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
• 2-Page Research Statement (Optional) - Regarding interests in probing in situ/operando interfaces
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=247347 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com