Porous Nanomaterials Synthesis Postdoc
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7118365
- Posting Date: Dec 15, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Division: MF-Molecular Foundry
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Molecular Foundry (https://foundry.lbl.gov/) Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar to join the team.
The Molecular Foundry is a Department of Energy-funded nanoscience research facility that provides users from around the world with access to cutting-edge expertise and instrumentation in a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment. Working with staff in the Organic Synthesis and the Biological Nanostructures Facility, this postdoctoral position will conduct research on colloidal synthesis of nanoscale framework materials and their bioconjugation to peptoid and peptide surfaces. The position will explore the synthesis of functional nanoparticles with internal surface areas and compatible bioconjugation chemistry, and develop screening protocols for catalytic degradation of substrate molecules.
What You Will Do:
• Collaborate with a multi-PI, multi-postdoc effort on nanomaterial design, synthesis, integration and characterization.
• Plan and perform experiments for the colloidal synthesis of porous nanomaterials, including but not limited to covalent organic frameworks and metal organic frameworks.
• Explore methods for surface functionalization and conjugation to biomimetic substrates.
• Develop screening protocols for catalytic degradation of related substrate molecules.
• Communicate research progress within the groups and report results externally through conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
• Follow and promote all safety requirements in the Molecular Foundry.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in chemistry, materials sciences, bioengineering or related disciplines.
• Solution based synthesis and characterization skills.
• Experience characterizing the physical properties of materials using techniques such as powder x-ray diffraction, porosimeter, optical spectroscopies and electron microscopies.
• Expertise in porous framework materials synthesis and characterization, e.g. covalent organic frameworks or metal organic frameworks.
• Expertise in nanomaterials synthesis and manipulation.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work successfully with a diverse group of users, scientists, and students.
• Record of publication in high impact journals.
• Ability to independently meet research goals, solve problems, and develop scientific ideas.
• Experience in catalytic activities screening
• This is a full-time 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at:Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=247204 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 16 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Resources (http://postdocresources.lbl.gov/) site and our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association (http://postdoc.lbl.gov/) site.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.