Postdoctoral Scientist - Kumar Lab - Stem Cells & Liver Disorders
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7118249 (Ref #: HRC0863500C)
- Posting Date: Dec 14, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Kumar Laboratory at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Regenerative Medicine Institute is looking for a passionate, inquisitive, and enthusiastic individual who wishes to investigate the cellular and molecular underpinnings of the regenerative responses post -mammalian acute kidney injury with a goal to identify novel therapeutic targets and strategies to augment intrinsic regenerative responses and inhibit fibrosis post-injury. Such approaches will “kick-start” the acutely injured kidneys and prevent their progression to chronic kidney disease!
The coupling of innovative transgenic mice to the repair/regeneration model of acute kidney injury the incumbent will study the key biological processes involved in the regeneration of an injured epithelia per se. To gain further insights into such regenerative responses, such responses are also interrogated during kidney development. In addition, the laboratory will leverage on the world-class human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPS) core facilities of RMI to establish systems for kidney disease modeling and investigation of human renal repair responses. To learn more, visit Liver & Kidney Program | Cedars-Sinai
Working independently but in close cooperation with Dr. Kumar and other Research Scientists, the Postdoc performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period. The Postdoc participates in laboratory meetings, keeps a lab notebook, performs calculations, tabulates data, summarizes methods and results of related experiments, and maintains general lab space. The incumbent will be assigned to a funded project investigating the above processes and will gain critical insights into kidney progenitor cells and kidney repair/regeneration.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in the preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Analyzes interpret, summarizes, and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
Experience and Skills:
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Primary interest in regenerative medicine and stem cells, molecular cloning, next generation sequencing such as RNA-seq and Chip-Seq, high resolution imaging, and Crispr/Cas9-based gene editing methodologies.
- Outstanding molecular and cell biology training with experience of the above genetic technologies.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Scheduling flexibility including evening, weekend and holiday rotation commitment may be necessary. Travel may be required.
- Function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians, and students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Kumar Lab - Stem Cells & Liver Disorders
Department: Regenerative Medicine Inst
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research,Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.