Postdoctoral Scientist - Stem Cells & Cancer Program
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7118248 (Ref #: HRC0617494E)
- Posting Date: Dec 14, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the laboratories of Dr. Dan Theodorescu and Dr. Clive Svendsen.
We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow/postdoc to expand our iPSC modeling of BRCA1 cancers using fallopian tube organoid technology recently published in Cell Reports. We want now to generate more lines and learn how over-expression of “second hit” genes may accelerate tumor progression and lead to enhanced models of disease. Our laboratories have ongoing discovery projects directed at key molecules driving cancer growth, metastasis, and tumor microenvironment (TME, stroma/fibroblast) along with cutting-edge iPSC and organoid technologies. Together we are using these systems to evaluate candidates for therapeutic targeting and clinical translation to trials in patients.
The successful candidate will be a driven, creative, team-oriented individual with a passion for helping to discover and move fundamental cancer biologic findings towards a clinical setting. The candidate will have a PhD or MD/PhD degree and background in stem cell tissue culture, functional genomics (including CRISPR, shRNA, and cDNA library use), and next-generation sequencing. A broad-based knowledge of stem cells, organoids, cancer biology, immunology, and signal transduction is an important characteristic of the successful applicant. We welcome applications who are completing their Ph.D. as well as individuals seeking additional postdoctoral training. Strong preference will be given to individuals with an outstanding publication record from their prior graduate and/or postgraduate training and/or existing external funding.
To learn more, please visit Theodorescu Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai and Svendsen Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
The Postdoctoral Scientist works independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigators and will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. The incumbent may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, and will analyze, compile, and interpret data.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in the preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications, and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- May write/modify IRB and IACUC applications.
- May mentor/train research associates, technicians, and students.
- Participation in laboratory meetings, keeping a lab notebook, performing calculations, tabulating data, summarizing methods and results of related experiments, and general lab maintenance.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in the area directly related to the field of research specialization.
Experience and Skills:
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research projects and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within the area of specialization.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, analysis, and operation.
- Experienced in research animal husbandry and handling.
- Scheduling flexibility including evening, weekend, and holiday rotation commitment may be necessary. Travel may be required.
- Function efficiently and cooperatively with a team of faculty, research associates, technicians, and students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Stem Cells & Cancer Program
Department: Regenerative Medicine Inst
Business Entity: Academic / Research
Job Category: Academic/Research,Academic/Research
Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 8 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com