Postdoctoral Appointee - Computational Science/Nuclear Engineering
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Argonne, IL
- Job Number: 7118203 (Ref #: 414564)
- Posting Date: Dec 9, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Computational Science Division (CPS) at Argonne National Laboratory seeks a postdoctoral appointee to develop open-source neutronics capabilities for molten salt reactors. The work will involve working in close collaboration with an industry partner, Copenhagen Atomics, to:
1. Evaluate, develop, and implement methods in the community-developed open-source OpenMC Monte Carlo code for computing kinetic parameters of molten salt reactors and other liquid-fueled systems
2. Enhance OpenMC to be able to represent physical quantities such as temperature and density using a mesh representation that is independent of the model geometry.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. (typically completed within the last 0-3 years) in Nuclear Engineering, Computational Science, Physics, or an associated field
- Experience programming in one or more of the following languages: C, C++, Python
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Experience with multi-threaded and/or distributed-memory programming
- Software development skills including: compilers, build systems (make, CMake), distributed version control (Git/GitHub), documentation, and testing
- Collaborative skills, including the ability to work well with laboratories, universities, and industry partners
- Ability to publish, promote, and advocate new insights and approaches
- Ability to model Argonne core values: impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Knowledge of nuclear reactor physics and thermal-hydraulics
- Knowledge of methods and algorithms for multiphysics simulations
- Experience working with Monte Carlo particle transport codes such as OpenMC, MCNP, or Serpent
- Experience developing numerical methods for scientific modeling and simulation
- Knowledge of the design and analysis of molten salt reactors and associated numerical methods
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com