CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellow in Design and Synthesis of Polymers for a Circular Economy
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Job Number: 7118045 (Ref #: cj_90754)
- Posting Date: Dec 13, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in polymer or organic chemistry?
- Want to develop solutions to help ending plastic waste?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this position you will undertake research in the development of polymers that are potentially recyclable, biodegradable, show enhanced insect digestibility, and yet possess the physical, mechanical and application properties required in conventional polyolefins used as commodity plastics. The fellow will design and develop methods scalable methods for the synthesis of polymers that enable the instillation of functionalities that promote triggered biodegradability and recyclability.
Your duties will include:
- Conduct and maintain a literature review of relevant areas - biobased (preferable), biodegradable (insect edible), recyclable polymers with requisite physical, mechanical and application properties in keeping with a whole-of-life strategy and fit within a circular economy.
- AI-enhanced polymer design with a view to simultaneous optimisation of synthetic accessibility, biodegradability, insect edibility, and physical, mechanical and application properties.
- Carry out syntheses of catalysts, intermediates, and functional polymers. An initial focus will be on the use of metathesis chemistry (ADMET, ROMP) in polymer synthesis in continuous flow.
- Design process suitable for scale-up using continuous flow chemistry. These methods may include use of continuous static mixer technology and reactive extrusion.
Location: Clayton, Victoria
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as polymer or organic chemistry. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in organic or polymer synthesis in relevant areas.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 30 June 2023.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 January 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com