CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Hybrid Superconducting Photonic Materials and Devices
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Sydney, Australia
- Job Number: 7118042 (Ref #: cj_90899)
- Posting Date: Dec 13, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD materials science, engineering, or physics?
- Want to contribute to the progress in the field of quantum technology?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this position you will undertake research in close collaboration with The Advanced Thin Films Group at UNSW (Kensington campus) to investigate the development of hybrid superconducting/photonic material systems and devices for quantum technology applications, including quantum cryptography and quantum communications.
Your duties will include:
- Synthesise superconducting and optical thin film materials using pulsed laser deposition and other deposition techniques.
- Work closely with collaborators to design, fabricate and characterise hybrid superconducting/photonic structures and devices.
- Recognise and exploit opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives.
- Implement precise methodology to plan and prepare research proposals, and apply non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
Location: Lindfield, NSW and/or Kensington, NSW
Salary: AU$92k - AU$101k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as materials science, engineering, or physics. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Experience synthesising and characterising device-quality epitaxial thin film materials using physical vapour deposition methods.
- Experimental expertise in one of the following: Superconductivity, complex oxide electronic materials, quantum optics, microelectronics, photonics, electro-optics, or related disciplines.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or Australian temporary residents currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by 30 June 2023.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 January 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com