CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Electrochemical CO2 Capture and Conversion
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Newcastle, Australia
- Job Number: 7118031 (Ref #: cj_90780)
- Posting Date: Dec 13, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in materials science and technology, electrochemistry or chemical engineering?
- Keen to lead innovation on high-impact research in a large, multidisciplinary team?
- Work on technology that will facilitate a new industry of "sustainable carbon mining" in this 3-year postdoctoral role
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The CERC Fellow will lead innovation on high-impact research in a large, multidisciplinary team with well-established collaborations. The CERC Fellow will access major, state-of-the-art industrial and research facilities, including CSIRO’s carbon capture pilot plants. These will provide the best opportunities for the Fellow to achieve research and technical excellence with focus on innovation and impact, as well as contribute to other major research activities in CSIRO, such as emerging direct air capture and heavy industry decarbonation. The CERC Fellow’s research strongly aligns with a range of strategic priorities for CSIRO Energy, H2 Future Science Platform, Hydrogen Industry Mission and the Towards Net Zero Mission. These include industrial decarbonisation, transition fuels, environmental performance, and technologies supporting a circular economy. The CERC Fellow will lead the project, explore research opportunities, apply for additional funding, engage customers and supervise students. This will help establish the Fellow as a highly independent leader. The CERC Fellow will build global scientific and business network by working in CSIRO Newcastle, researching with other partners from leading national and international universities and travelling overseas for international conferences.
Your duties will include:
- Defining project goals, developing the research plan, specifying collaborative work with project members, and managing and delivering the project.
- Designing, setting up and operating a CO2 capture and electrolysis facility.
- Leading research and technical efforts to gain new knowledge and make technological breakthroughs, including development of effective chemical absorbents and electrocatalysts, and elucidation of the capture-electrolysis mechanism.
- Collaborating on material characterisation and techno-economic assessment.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: AU$92k - AU$101k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as materials science and technology, electrochemistry or chemical engineering. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Strong fundamental understanding of and/or practical experience with electro-chemical CO2 conversion processes.
- Excellent laboratory skills, including the design and engineering of bench-scale experimental facilities, and synthesis and characterisation of nanomaterials.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents or you must either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa for the duration of the specified term. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 January 2023, 11:00pm AEDT
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com