Cellular Engineering Postdoctoral Fellow
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
- Location: Tampa, FL
- Job Number: 7117228 (Ref #: 44181)
- Posting Date: Dec 3, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
Dr. Patrick Hwu’s lab at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida is seeking a highly motivated post-doctoral fellow to join his multi-disciplinary laboratory team focused on understanding the underlying mechanisms of cancer-immune system interactions and developing novel translational cellular immunotherapies with the goal to improve current treatments for cancer patients.
Dr. Hwu’s research is engaged in developing innovative immunotherapy approaches to trigger potent adaptive antitumor immunity to overcome resistance to cancer immunotherapy. His studies are focused on gene-modified T-cells, development of translational combinatorial therapies which include immune checkpoint blockade and adoptive T-cell therapy, and identification of targetable T-cell molecules to boost the proliferation, migration and function of tumor reactive T-cells.
• The candidate will be given the opportunities for developing new skills, professional growth, and career goals.
• The candidate will receive outstanding mentorship from expert faculty and participate in multiple academic activities.
The Ideal Candidate:
• Must have extensive practical experience with in vitro and in vivo techniques in a research lab setting.
• Experience in biomedical engineering, assay development, molecular biology techniques, and gene editing methodologies, including CRISPR technology is strongly preferred.
• Experience working with adoptive T-cell therapies, chimeric antigen receptor (CART-T) and/or transgenic T-cell receptor (TCR) development is strongly preferred.
The Candidate is Expected to:
• Execute genetic in vivo and in vitro CRISPR screen with our team.
• Develop chimeric antigen receptors for T-cell therapy in a mentored role.
• Work reliably with a team to execute projects, complete routine laboratory duties, and maintain excellent records.
• Design experiments, develop independent projects, and draft manuscripts
• Mentor undergraduate and PhD students, as appropriate
• Collaborate professionally and collegially with others in the lab and with other laboratories from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
• Be enthusiastic about their role in improving the lives of cancer patients
• be well-organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to effectively and reliably document protocols and experiments in ways that can be understood and replicated by others.
Credentials and Qualifications:
• Must have completed an MD or PhD in biomedical engineering, biomedical sciences, immunology, or similar field.
• Candidates with less than 3 years prior postdoctoral experience will be given preference.
• Should have at least one first author publication.
How to apply:
Please be sure to attach a single PDF file that includes a cover letter summarizing your previous research experience and accomplishments. A personal statement of scientific interests and goals, current CV with recent publications, and contact information for three references for Dr. Patrick Hwu to review. Questions regarding the position can be sent to the lab manager Ana Dominguez at [email protected]
You will be eligible for benefits offered to our Team Members – Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city with unique cultural attractions, low cost of living and a high quality of life. We strive for work/life balance.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.