- University of Alberta
- Location: Edmonton, Canada
- Job Number: 7116804
- Posting Date: Nov 24, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Surface topography (ST) is a non-invasive three dimensional (3D) assessment of the torso shape. Using ST, our lab has developed a technology with the goal of improving the clinical management of children and youth suffering from scoliosis by reducing cumulative x-ray exposure during their growing years, resulting in improved long-term health outcomes. Using an iPad, 3D images of the torso are acquired and the asymmetry of the torso is measured. The severity of scoliosis is then quantified from the torso surface asymmetry. The technology is available as an iPad app and web-based analysis platform https://backscnr.com/
In the current proposal, we will improve the monitoring technology and move the product through the commercialization pathway. We aim to implement surface topography monitoring in the clinical setting and have it available for at-home use by patients and families. This work will increase access to non-invasive monitoring for scoliosis, leading to improved quality of life for patients. This project involves an exciting multidisciplinary collaboration with teams across engineering and medicine.
Qualifications of the applicant:
- Applicants should hold a Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., mechanical engineering, computer science, electrical/computer engineering, etc.). Candidates with other educational backgrounds may also be considered.
- Applicants should be highly motivated, well organized and passionate about both research and entrepreneurship with excellent communication skills in English.
- Applicants should have strong desire to conduct transformational work in close collaboration with clinical professionals.
- The position is open to Canadian Citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and International candidates
9211-116 St NW 10-203 DICE