Research Associate I - Wolf Lab - Inflammatory Diseases & Microbiome Research
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7115524 (Ref #: HRC0840388C)
- Posting Date: Nov 6, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Dr. Andrea J Wolf’s laboratory is looking for a highly motivated Research Associate I interested in the innate inflammatory responses of myeloid cells to join the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Inflammatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institute (IBIRI) at Cedars-Sinai! Cedars-Sinai is a multidisciplinary, highly collaborative research center with an emphasis on disease and translational research.
Dr. Wolf’s laboratory research focuses on the cellular mechanisms that control the innate inflammatory responses of myeloid phagocytes to bacterial and fungal infections. Recent research has begun to explore the interaction between glycolytic metabolism and the inflammatory responses of myeloid cells sensing the sugars in the cell wall of Gram-positive bacteria. We are looking for an eager scientist with a basic scientific background who is willing to learn new techniques, collaborate with postdoctoral scientists, and excited about the challenges of examining the interactions between metabolism, immunity and infection. To learn more, please visit Microbiome Research | Cedars-Sinai and Wolf Research Laboratory | Cedars-Sinai
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
Working under direct supervision, the RA I performs a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of one or more laboratory research projects in a specific area of research. Assists in general laboratory activities, including maintenance of reagents and stocking of supplies. Files and monitors documents. Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results. Assists in the operation of specialized equipment and machinery. Observes safety standards and procedures. The RA I will be able to perform routine cellular, micro and molecular biology procedures including, but not limited to Western, Northern blot, DNA/RNA, PCR, protein extraction, cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, and staining. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of routine laboratory tasks and procedures.
- May assist with animal husbandry.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records.
- Transports, processes and logs samples.
- Maintains computer database with relevant clinical information.
- Performs lab maintenance duties, including glassware cleaning and sterilization.
- Maintains stocks of general lab materials, and places orders for lab equipment and supplies.
- Assists new students and fellows at the laboratory.
- Independently conduct experiments planned together with the PI and post-doctoral scientist.
- Maintain accurate, complete, up-to-date notes about lab work and results.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and an ability to follow protocol instructions.
- Analyze basic data sets and generate figures.
- Participate in regular lab meetings.
Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree in biological sciences, required.
Experience and Skills:
- Understanding of general research objectives.
- Some experience with some basic molecular biology techniques is a plus (e.g. ELISA, Western Blots, protein assays, cloning, RNA and DNA isolation).
- Prior basic experience with cell culture is desirable.
- Coordination of tasks and activities to maximize the effectiveness of time management.
- Working knowledge of database management, personal computers, and presentation and imaging software.
- Familiar with routine laboratory procedures and experimental protocols.
- Must possess computer skills to include, but not limited to, Excel and Word.
Working Title:Research Associate I - Wolf Lab - Inflammatory Diseases & Microbiome Research
Department:Home Dept - Gastroenterology
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Job Specialty:Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com