Postdoctoral Appointee - Modeling The Risks For Offshore Wind Energy
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Argonne, IL
- Job Number: 7113512 (Ref #: 414218)
- Posting Date: Oct 15, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We have an exciting opportunity for a Postdoctoral Researcher position focusing on tropical and extratropical cyclone modeling for offshore wind turbine risk assessment at the Argonne National Laboratory.
This appointment will be at the Environmental Science Division embedded within our Computer, Environment, and Life Sciences Directorate. The project aims to improve the performance in modeling tropical and extratropical cyclones using a fully coupled atmosphere, ocean and wave modeling system, and determine the impacts of anthropogenic warming on cyclone dynamics. The modeling will be primarily at the mesoscale, and the output will be applied to microscale modeling at the wind turbine scale. Model development, model sensitivity analysis, machine learning, and risk assessment work are all anticipated.
This is a three-year multi-institutional project funded by Department of Energy Wind Energy Technology Office.
In this role you can expect to:
- Utilize data collected by variety data sources, including satellite, in-situ observations, and more.
- Utilize state-of-the-art numerical models such as weather forecast and research (WRF) model, WaveWatch III and Finite Volume Community Ocean Model (FVCOM).
- Interact with a wide range of talents (model developers, atmospheric scientists such as hurricane experts, ocean/coastal scientists, data scientists) from the whole spectrum of the wind energy scientific community;
- Present and publish their work at major symposia and journals.
- Recent or soon-to-be-completed PhD (typically within 0-3 years) in atmospheric science or related field
- Experience of running atmospheric/oceanic numerical models in a high-performance computing environment
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages (e.g., Python) under Unix/Linux environment
- Effective verbal communication skills and effective written skills
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
- Strong experience of atmospheric modeling used for studying cyclones
- Experience in air-sea interactions
- Experience in ocean wave and/or ocean circulation modeling
- Solid knowledge of data analysis techniques
- Strong capability of visualizing scientific dataset
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.