Postdoctoral Scientist - Gonzalez-Hernandez Lab - Computational Biomedicine
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: West Hollywood, CA
- Job Number: 7112532 (Ref #: HRC1040450)
- Posting Date: Oct 4, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Join us as we translate today's discoveries into tomorrow's medicine!
The Department of Computational Medicine (CBM) is a robust infrastructure established to develop, evaluate, and apply cutting-edge computational and statistical methods and software for the analysis of biomedical and clinical data across the Cedars-Sinai enterprise.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
Dr. Graciela Gonzalez-Hernandez is a recognized expert and leader in natural language processing (NLP) applied to bioinformatics, medical/clinical informatics, and public-health informatics, with more than 100 publications in this area. The mission of the Gonzalez-Hernandez Lab is to improve healthcare delivery and outcomes, and public health monitoring and surveillance through innovations in automated language processing. The goals of the Gonzalez-Hernandez Lab include developing innovative NLP solutions for health-related language, creating data, resources and tools for the global research community, and promoting research in health language processing through the organization of workshops and shared tasks, and through interdisciplinary collaborations. To learn more, please visit http://www.healthlanguageprocessing.org.
In this role, the Postdoctoral Scientist will be expected to work independently under the direction of Dr. Gonzalez-Hernandez and in close cooperation, as well as consultation, with other research staff. As a Postdoctoral Scientist, perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in the preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the P.I.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization required.
Experience and Skills:
- Highly motivated and works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within the area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Highly motivated with a proven track of record of publications.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Working Title:Postdoctoral Scientist - Gonzalez-Hernandez Lab - Computational Biomedicine
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.