Project Scientist - Knott Lab - Bioinformatics & Functional Genomics
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7111655 (Ref #: HRC0561768F)
- Posting Date: Sep 25, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Are you passionate about applying genomics, computer science, and probability theory to study cancer progression?
The Knott laboratory at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is searching for a Project Scientist with a strong background in tumor biology and the immune microenvironment to lead single cell-based omics studies of immunotherapy clinical trials being carried out at the medical center. The scientist will manage a team of laboratory technicians through the processing of clinical trial biopsies for profiling with single cell RNA and ATAC sequencing as well as other emerging technologies.
Additionally, our laboratory analyzes the clinical samples with spatial profiling methods such as Co-Detection by Indexing, which allows us to directly study interactions between neighboring cells within the tumor that may govern the response to therapy. We are currently analyzing trials to study the effects of combination immunotherapies in patients with triple negative and estrogen receptor positive breast cancers. We are also beginning trials in patients with early as well as late stage Her2 positive disease. We expect all analyses of these cutting-edge clinical trials will result in high-profile publications in top-tier scientific journals. To learn more, please visit: Knott Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai
The Project Scientist works independently and in cooperation with Dr. Simon Knott to make significant and creative contributions to a research or creative project in any academic discipline. The Project Scientist may be an ongoing member of a research team or may be employed for a limited period of time to contribute high-level skills to a specific research or creative program. Project Scientists are not required to carry out independent research or to develop an independent research reputation and do not have teaching responsibilities. Ordinarily, the Project Scientist title will carry out research or creative programs as well as administration of day-to-day lab operations with supervision by a member of the Professorial Series.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May serve as PI for certain grants as approved by supervising member of the Professorial Series.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May develop, adapt and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Assists in lab experiments.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- May lead or train Staff Research Associates and Research Fellows.
- Will assist in day-to-day laboratory activities.
- Appointees on an academic trajectory will be expected to commit a portion of their time to developing an independent range of research.
- Doctorate Degree in Cancer Biology, Immunology or a related field, required.
- Demonstrated significant, original, and creative contributions to a research or creative program or project.
- Completion of postdoctoral appointment in area of specialization, as applicable.
Experience and Skillset:
- Knowledge of PI’s area of research specialization.
- Experience analyzing murine or human tumor microenvironments with single cell resolution methods.
- Demonstrated technical competency in a variety of research techniques and protocols.
- Strong background in cancer biology with an emphasis on the immune microenvironment.
- Molecular biology skills are also required, as this scientist will be responsible for guiding laboratory technicians through specific analytical techniques.
- Computational expertise is not essential, as the scientist will work with a team of quantitative biologists to help derive and test hypotheses from the datasets generated.
- Ability to interpret high-dimensional data and a willingness to work in a collaborative setting with clinicians, immunologists and computational scientists is essential.
Working Title:Project Scientist - Knott Lab - Bioinformatics & Functional Genomics
Department:BMS - Bioinfo & Func Genomics
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Job Specialty:Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.