Project Scientist - Flow Cytometry
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7110691 (Ref #: HRC0755462B)
- Posting Date: Sep 15, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for excellence! Cedars Sinai was awarded the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award 19 years in a row for providing the highest-quality medical care in Los Angeles. We also were awarded the Advisory Board Company’s Workplace of the Year. This annual award recognizes hospitals and health systems nationwide that have outstanding levels of employee engagement. We provide an outstanding benefits package, along with competitive compensation. Join us! Discover why U.S. News & World Report has named us one of America’s Best Hospitals.
What will you be doing in this role?
The Project Scientist works independently and in cooperation with the Principal Investigator to make significant and creative contributions to a research or creative project in any academic discipline. The Project Scientist may be an ongoing member of a research team or may be employed for a limited period of time to contribute high-level skills to a specific research or creative program. Project Scientists are not required to carry out independent research or to develop an independent research reputation and do not have teaching responsibilities. Ordinarily, the Project Scientist title will carry out research or creative programs as well as administration of day-to-day lab operations with supervision by a member of the Professorial Series.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May serve as PI for certain grants as approved by supervising member of the Professorial Series.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- May develop, adapt and implement new research techniques and protocols.
- Assists in lab experiments.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- May lead or train Staff Research Associates and Research Fellows.
- Will assist in day-to-day laboratory activities.
- Appointees on an academic trajectory will be expected to commit a portion of their time to developing an independent range of research.
Department Specific Responsibilities:
- Performs Flow Cytometry Shared Resource-associated project activities including specialized equipment maintenance, operation, troubleshooting in addition to directed research project under supervision of the PI and in collaboration with other staff members and core users.
- Develop, adapt, and implement new flow cytometry-related research techniques and protocols in consultation with the scientific literature, the PI and core users.
- Assist with new equipment purchase and be responsible for troubleshooting of new equipment.
- Perform and oversee Flow Cytometry Shared Resource daily maintenance activities, including billing.
- Keep appropriate detailed experimental records and documentation of flow cytometry sorting and analysis experiments.
- Train new Flow Cytometry Shared Resource users.
- Maintain project records accurately and regularly.
- Participate in all Flow Cytometry Shared Resource duties and activities, including lab meeting and data discussion with lab members and core users.
- Doctorate Degree required
- Demonstrated significant, original, and creative contributions to a research or creative program or project Completion of postdoctoral appointment in area of specialization, as applicable.
- Completion of postdoctoral appointment in area of specialization, as applicable. Knowledge of PI’s area of research specialization. Demonstrated technical competency in a variety of research techniques and protocols
Working Title:Project Scientist - Flow Cytometry
Department:Cancer Inst Shared Services
Business Entity:Service Lines & Ops
Job Specialty:Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.