Postdoctoral Scientist - Knott Lab - Bioinformatics & Functional Genomics
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7110288 (Ref #: HRC0544032F)
- Posting Date: Sep 11, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Principal Investigator, Simon Knott, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The Cedars-Sinai Center for Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics (CBFG) is an integrated, interdisciplinary research group with the common goal of developing end-to-end research workflows for genomic and high-throughput functional analysis of patient samples. The primary goals of the CBFG are to establish a research nexus that integrates leading-edge developments in computational sciences, next-generation genomics and epigenomics, and to use functional biology to improve our understanding of disease etiology applied to personalized health.
The Knott laboratory at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is searching for a Postdoctoral Scientist with a strong background in tumor biology and the immune microenvironment to lead single cell-based omics studies of immunotherapy clinical trials being carried out at the medical center. The scientist will manage a team of laboratory technicians through the processing of clinical trial biopsies for profiling with single cell RNA and ATAC sequencing as well as other emerging technologies. Additionally, our laboratory analyzes the clinical samples with spatial profiling methods such as Co-Detection by Indexing, which allows us to directly study interactions between neighboring cells within the tumor that may govern the response to therapy. We are currently analyzing trials to study the effects of combination immunotherapies in patients with triple negative and estrogen receptor positive breast cancers. We are also beginning trials in patients with early as well as late stage Her2 positive disease. We expect all analyses of these cutting-edge clinical trials will result in high-profile publications in top-tier scientific journals. To learn more, please visit: Knott Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
Working independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with Dr. Knott and other Research Scientists, the Postdoc will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout training period. May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, analyze and interpret data.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- May assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May participate in publications and presentations as author or co-author.
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with the Principal Investigator.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Doctorate Degree in Cancer Biology, Immunology or a related field, required.
Experience and Skillset:
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Experience analyzing murine or human tumor microenvironments with single cell resolution methods.
- Molecular biology skills are also required, as this scientist will be responsible for guiding laboratory technicians through specific analytical techniques mentioned.
- Ability to interpret high-dimensional data and a willingness to work in a collaborative setting with clinicians, immunologists and computational scientists is essential.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis, and operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Knowledge of safety standards and maintenance of specialized equipment.
Working Title:Postdoctoral Scientist - Knott Lab - Bioinformatics & Functional Genomics
Department:BMS - Bioinfo & Func Genomics
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.