Research Associate II
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7109316 (Ref #: HRC1002098)
- Posting Date: Aug 30, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The goal of the Applied Genomics, Computation and Translation Core’s (AGCT) goal is to generate genomic, transcriptomic, epigenomic & metagenomic information for basic and clinical research for internal Cedars-Sinai and external community members. The mission is to make complex technologies and methodologies available and interpretable to the research community. Working under direct supervision, the Research Associate II performs routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects.
The Research Associate II will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. The Associate will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects. The Associate will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
Cedars-Sinai is a nonprofit academic healthcare organization serving the diverse Los Angeles community and beyond. We are one of the leading institutes for competitive research funding from the National Institutes of Health. As an international leader in biomedical research, we translate discoveries into successful treatments with global impact. Cedars-Sinai is a hub for biomedical research with discoveries occurring in 26 departments and institutes that encompass the full spectrum of medicine.
Why work here?
The Cedars-Sinai Cancer Applied Genomics Shared Resource is a fully equipped, state-of-the-art genomics facility offering data generation and interpretation for basic science and translational research in next-generation sequencing technologies, including single cell genomics, spatial transcriptomics, and bulk cell genomics. We specialize in single cell sequencing via the 10x Genomics, Parse Biosciences, and Mission Bio platforms. Our R&D team offers sample preparation for single cell assays, such as nuclei isolation from frozen tissue or single cell isolation from fresh tissue dissociation. We also specialize in spatial transcriptomics using the 10x Genomics Visium platform, including sectioning of fresh-frozen and FFPE tissue. The AGCT Core also offers comprehensive services for standard bulk cell sequencing in genomics, transcriptomics, epigenomics, and metagenomics.
Cedars-Sinai Cancer Applied Genomics Shared Resource’s mission is to make complex next-generation sequencing technologies accessible and biologically interpretable for basic and clinical research scientists. We enable investigators with little experience in sample preparation, quality control, or analysis to interrogate the genome. To facilitate this, we have developed complete wet-lab and bioinformatics analysis pipelines to accommodate standard needs and enable most genome-wide investigations. For more sophisticated or custom designs, our R&D team offers collaborations to facilitate investigations.
Essential job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct general molecular biology experiments such as RNA/DNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, PCR, RT-PCR, ligand, and restriction digests
- Work independently for basic QC analysis
- Operate automated fluidics systems such as epMotion, platforms for QC including Agilent, Qubit, NanoDrop, qPCR platforms including Fluidigm, ABI open access and other genomic platforms.
- Conduct single cell genomics assays and sequencing. Performs a variety of increasingly complex experimental protocols and procedures and assist in the design of new complex or unusual protocols and techniques.
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
- Orders laboratory supplies and supports laboratory operations.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment, as required by the area of research.
- Assists in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Orients research laboratory assistants or entry level junior research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures.
Department and/or unit specific – essential job responsibilities:
- Perform all aspects of cutting-edge NGS technology genomics experiments, including fluorescence-based nucleic acid quantification, Bioanalyzer and TapeStation fragment analysis, Illumina sequencing-by-synthesis, PacBio Single Molecule Real Time sequencing, bulk cell and single cell library preparation, spatial transcriptomics library preparation, and sample preparation.
- Operation of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) sequencers including the Illumina NovaSeq 6000, NextSeq 500, and MiSeq, and the PacBio Sequel.
- Operation of automated liquid handlers including the Hamilton Vantage and 10x Genomics Chromium Connect.
- Operation of single cell sequencing platforms including the 10x Genomics Chromium and Mission Bio Tapestri systems.
- Operation of Quality Control equipment including the Agilent Bioanalyzer and TapeStation, Invitrogen Qubit systems, and the Thermo Fisher Scientific NanoDrop 8000.
- Operation of equipment used in sample preparation including the Miltenyi gentleMACS, autoMACS Pro Separator, MACSQuant Analyzer, and MACSQuant Tyto, S2 Genomics Singulator, Nexcelom Bioscience Cellaca, Thermo Fisher Scientific EVOS M7000.
- Construction of bulk cell NGS libraries using commercially available reagent kits from Illumina, Integrated DNA Technologies, Takara Bio, Qiagen, Lexogen, and New England Biolabs.
- Single cell capture and library construction using the 10x Genomics, Mission Bio, and Parse Biosciences platforms.
- Liaise with post-doctoral, doctoral, and staff researchers, clinical investigators, and principal investigators to provide quality customer service.
- Maintain accurate, complete, up-to-date notes on experimental details and results using an electronic laboratory notebook, and project and task management applications.
- Work closely with the Research Associate I as part of a team to fulfill service requests to meet quality standards and stated turnaround times.
- Liaise with bioinformatics team to check the quality of sequenced samples.
- Follow manufacturer’s protocols and core-specific workflows to ensure generation of high quality results.
- Bachelor of Sciences in Genetics, Genomics, Molecular Biology, or Biological Sciences
- Master of Sciences in Genetics, Genomics, Molecular Biology, or Biological Sciences preferred
Experience and skills:
- 2-3 years laboratory experience
- Experience in fields including, but not limited to, Genetics, Genomics, Molecular Biology, and/or Cell Biology.
- Technical skills and knowledge including but not limited to general molecular and cell biology techniques such as PCR, qPCR, reverse transcription, nucleic acid isolation, gel electrophoresis, and cell counting.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills; very detail-oriented; able to multitask, learn new tasks quickly, and follow through tasks with details; work independently with minimal supervision; work well with others as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills for interaction with peers, investigators, researchers, and laboratory-supporting staff.
- Understanding of dilution factors and conversion calculations.
- Flexibility in responding to rapidly changing priorities and exceptionally diverse demands through constant interruptions in a fast-paced laboratory environment.
- Must be self-motivated, take initiative, enjoy learning, and willing to take on new challenges.
- Proficient in PC (or Mac) skills as well as demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Working Title:Research Associate II
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Job Specialty:Research Studies/Clinical Trials
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.