Postdoctoral Scientist - Chen Lab - Pulmonary
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7108088 (Ref #: HRC0991228)
- Posting Date: Aug 14, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
If you are passionate about helping human kind by contributing to research discoveries, we invite to consider this great opportunity and apply today!
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai.
Principal Investigator, Peter Chen, MD is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The work will be conducted in the laboratory of Dr. Peter Chen, who has a research program in lung injury and repair. The Chen Lab employs a variety of cell-based assays, animal models, and human tissues merged with novel technologies such as single cell RNA sequencing to conduct high impact research in respiratory diseases. To learn more, please visit: Chen Research Lab | Cedars-Sinai.
A successful applicant will be working on projects that will identify mechanisms that drive non-resolving lung injury in acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and that are necessary for generating immunity after the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. Applications are being solicited for federally-funded basic and translational research fellowships in respiratory biology and diseases.
Representative publications of ongoing areas of research include:
- N Engl J Med. 2021 Jan 21;384(3):229-237. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2029849
- Cell Rep 2021 Jan 5;34(1):108590. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2020.108590
- JCI Insight. 2019 Aug 8;5(17):e129359. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.129359.
- Am J Pathol. 2018 Apr;188(4):1094-1103. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2017.12.009.
- JCI Insight. 2016 Dec 8;1(20):e90301. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.90301.
- Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Aug 1;194(3):333-44. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201509-1878OC.
- Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2016 Aug;55(2):243-51. doi: 10.1165/rcmb.2015-0193OC.
- J Biol Chem. 2012 Oct 12;287(42):34927-35. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M112.376814.
- J Cell Sci. 2012 Nov 1;125(Pt 21):5188-95. doi: 10.1242/jcs.109884.
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
In this role, the Postdoctoral Scientist will be expected to work independently but in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigator (P.I.) as well as other research staff and scientists. This position will perform routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout the training period and may develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols, and analyze and interpret data. This position is not dependent on generating independent funding but may assist in preparation of grant proposals. The incumbent will be encouraged to develop a project and generate results that lead to publications and presentations as author or co-author. Career development will be provided to support the growth of postdoctoral fellows into various careers in academia or industry.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs and performs experiments.
- Maintains appropriate experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with PI.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
Department-Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures the laboratory is up-to-date in all policies and regulations required by the various oversight committees.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with safety standards and procedures.
- Creates and updates protocols for the laboratory (e.g., IACUC).
- Understands the basic premise of all the laboratory projects and helping laboratory members carry out their research as needed.
- Helps other laboratory members move their project in novel directions.
- Provides miscellaneous clinical/research support (ad hoc data analysis, hypothesis development, programming, troubleshooting, etc.).
- Trains Research Lab Assistants, Research Fellow, Research Associates, and other related support staff and may be requested by PI to take on specific duties.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization.
- Highly motivated and works independently on research projects crafted by a mentor (typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires complete technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental procedures including detailed data collection, and analysis.
- Knowledge, analysis, operation and maintenance of specialized equipment and safety standards.
Physical Demands: Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job functions.
Working Title:Postdoctoral Scientist - Chen Lab - Pulmonary
Department:Home Dept - Pulmonary
Business Entity:Academic / Research
Shift Length:8 hour shift
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu) and COVID-19. For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through April each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment, subject to medical exemption or religious accommodation. For the same reason, you may also be required to receive other vaccines such as COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Cedars-Sinai reserves the right to make modifications to its required list of vaccines as required by law and/or policy.