- Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Research of the St. Michael's , Unity Health Toronto, and University Toronto
- Location: Toronto, Canada
- Job Number: 7106101
- Posting Date: Jul 21, 2022
- Application Deadline: Aug 18, 2022
Job DescriptionA postdoctoral fellow position is available in the Kapus Laboratory at the Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science at St. Michael’s Hospital. We are seeking an excellent and self-motivated postdoctoral candidate with research accomplishments and interest in cellular and molecular aspects of signal transduction particularly as it relates to fibrogenesis, and its relationship to antiviral pathways (see below). The position will provide opportunity to skill development on many grounds, including novel experimental techniques, participation in grant writing, defining a unique scientific niche and working autonomously. The position will prepare the individual for an academic carrier such as a research associate or independent scientist.
The Kapus lab has a long-standing interest in elucidating cellular and molecular mechanisms that regulate cell plasticity with special relevance to organ fibrosis. We wish to understand how the cytoskeleton, a major signal transducer of epithelial injury, regulates key functions, including gene transcription and organellar remodeling. We investigate the mechanisms whereby the cytoskeleton controls the nucleocytoplasmic traffic of mechanosensitive and fibrogenic transcription factors (e.g. MRTF, YAP/TAZ). Intriguingly, the latter proteins emerge as natural suppressors of antiviral cellular responses. In this context we wish to unravel the underlying molecular mechanisms and the structural requirement for these fundamentally new and exciting non-transcriptional functions. The related project concentrates predominantly on molecular/cellular aspects of this question but also involves animal models.
- Develop, initiate, and lead studies to discover and characterize pathways and mechanisms that connect the cytoskeleton-regulated signal transducers to antiviral signaling pathways and organelle remodeling.
- Plan and execute experiments; collect, analyze, and interpret data.
- Design and generate molecular biology tools including constructs and cell lines to modulate target proteins.
- Assist the Investigator in development and initiation of research studies.
-Assist in the writing and submission of research grant applications and research manuscripts.
-Perform analysis, summarize results and prepare them for presentation and publications.
The applicant is also expected to:
- Work together with the Principal Investigator for optimal project design.
- Write research proposals and applications to obtain salary support from outside agencies
e.g., CIHR Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Conduct ongoing review of relevant literature to keep up with current knowledge.
- Write peer-reviewed journal articles as first author
- Participate in lab meetings by providing insightful and intellectual discussions and presentations.
- Guide and mentor junior trainees on how to conduct research and provide technical and theoretical training.
- A PhD within 6 years in the area of cell or molecular biology with relevant first-author publications and expertise is required.
- Demonstrated strong experience in a variety of cell and molecular biology techniques, including imaging and techniques to manipulate target genes (gene silencing, knock-down, viral transfection systems, and preferably good working knowledge of site-directed mutagenesis)
- Experience with mammalian animal models is a definitive advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including scientific writing and verbal presentations in English.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong planning, organization, time management, problem solving, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to pay close attention to details.
-Effective mentoring and coaching skills with the ability to support team members.
Submit/attach a complete application as a single PDF file including:
- one-page cover letter describing the applicant’s accomplishments and how their expertise fits this position.
- curriculum vitae
- copies of relevant submitted, in-press, or published articles.
- names and email addresses of 3 referees
Thank you for your application. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to set a time for an interview after Aug 20th.