Postdoctoral Appointee - AI for Science
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Argonne, IL
- Job Number: 7105602 (Ref #: 413738)
- Posting Date: Jul 16, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne National Laboratory invites applications from outstanding candidates for multiple postdoctoral research positions in applying artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning / deep learning (ML/DL) methods to scientific problems as well as for research in foundational aspects of AI. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- AI-driven discovery and design
- Goal-driven design of materials, chemicals, proteins, and organisms
- AI for understanding complex systems and ecologies
- Self-driving robotic laboratories
- AI-based program synthesis and automated software generation
- AI-augmented control for accelerators and science facilities
- Intelligent sensing and reactive modeling
- Predictive crisis response and proactive decision support
- Rare-events analysis and understanding
- AI-driven manufacturing scale-up
- Foundational research in AI — mathematical, statistical, and information theoretic methods to advance AI for Science; development of new scalable AI methods and software frameworks.
Candidates will have the opportunity to work on their own research projects that are synergistic with other efforts at Argonne as well as be mentored and advised by Argonne scientists so as to form connections and collaboration opportunities with Argonne research efforts in this space. Candidates will have the opportunity to run on advanced supercomputing facilities at the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF), including the upcoming Aurora exascale system, other GPU-based systems, as well as specialized AI hardware from vendors such as Cerebras, SambaNova, Graphcore, and Groq.
- A recent or soon-to-be completed PhD (typically completed within 0-3 years) in computer science, physical sciences, engineering, or related field
- Experience in programming with one or more programming languages, such as C, C++, or Python
- Experience with machine learning methods and deep learning frameworks, such as TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Knowledge of software development practices and techniques for computational and data-intensive science problems
- Ability to conduct interdisciplinary research combining physical sciences/engineering and computing
- Effective collaboration skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Application materials requested:
- Two-page statement of research interests
The positions are available immediately, but there is flexibility in start dates.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.