Postdoctoral Associate- Immunity and Pathogenesis
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Job Number: 7103451 (Ref #: spd-1899230)
- Posting Date: Jun 14, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The duties and responsibilities contained in the job description are intended to be examples of the accountabilities for which the person in the position will demonstrate competency through performance. The job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Duties and responsibilities are subject to change and other duties may be assigned as necessary.
Osterman Lab has pioneered a novel methodology to explore mechanisms of acquired antimicrobial resistance combining experimental evolution under continuous culturing conditions with nextgen ultradeep sequencing followed by cutting-edge computational and bioinformatics analysis and focused mechanistic experiments.
On-going and planned projects are focused on exploration and comparison of evolutionary pathways and mechanisms for clinical antibiotics and combinations thereof in a range of gram-negative bacterial pathogens. We are also collaborating with a number of antibiotic discovery teams in academia, biotech and pharma on applying our resistomics platform for the mechanistic analysis and resistibility assessment for experimental drug candidates.
This Postdoctoral Associate position estimated starting date will be September 6, 2022.
- Plan and conduct experimental evolution-based studies in custom-engineered continuous culturing instrument (morbidostat) aimed to explore mechanisms of acquisition of antibiotic resistance in a broad range of bacterial pathogens.
- Additional studies will include exploration of antibiotic resistance vs combinations of clinical drugs, experimental antibiotics, quantitative assessment of fitness landscape, mechanistic exploration of resistance-driving mutations
- The work include a combination of equally important experimental and computational components including but not limited to microbial genetics and physiology (BSL-2), omics-driven experimental and computational analyses, molecular biology and biochemistry.
- Large-scale Nextgen (Illumina, PacBio, Nanopre) sequencing, transcriptomics (RNAseq), experimental design, data collection, processing and interpretation
- Using and optimizing software tools and custom scripts for NextGen sequence analysis, variant calling, dynamic, bioinformatic and comparative analysis including genome mining, pathway reconstruction, computational modeling and mechanistic implications.
- Compiling progress reports, manuscripts and RESISTOME web-site development.
- PhD in Biology with emphasis on microbiology, microbial genomics/transcriptomics, infectious disease and host-pathogen interactions
- Hands-on experience with bacterial pathogens (BSL-2), metabolic biochemistry
- Experience in bioinformatics and computational biology including the use of modern software packages, scripting and programming is a crucial requirement
- Hands-on experience with a broad range of laboratory procedures, including aseptic culturing, microbial genetics and physiology, molecular biology routines (PCR, cloning, DNA sequencing), protein expression, purification and characterization.
- Proof of Fully COVID-19 Vaccine
KNOWEDLGE, SKILL AND/OR ABILITIES:
- Strong background in microbial genomics, genetics, physiology, biochemistry.
- Expertise in computational modeling, machine learning and programming (at least Python and R)
- Implementation and optimization of sophisticated laboratory protocols including genomic sequencing, functional assays and other -omics techniques
- A demonstrated ability for independent critical thinking, good communication skills, and strong publication record.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.