Postdoctoral Associate - Alzheimer’s disease
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: La Jolla, CA
- Job Number: 7101982 (Ref #: spd-2039174)
- Posting Date: Jun 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Huang laboratory has a Postdoctoral Associate position available!!!
Dr. Timothy Huang's laboratory focuses on understanding how mutations in cell surface proteins such as TREM2 and SORLA can alter neuronal and microglial function. Recent work from our group established a role for SORLA in protecting synaptic function in the presence of Aß (J Exp Med 214: 3669, 2017) as well as enhancing neurite outgrowth (J Neurosci 40: 5908, 2020). The Huang lab also established an ESC-based human microglial modeling platform to determine how AD-related mutations in TREM2 and SORLA can affect microglia behavior and function (J Exp Med 217(12): e20200474, 2020). The Huang lab is currently using a combination of mouse genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, proteomics, and high throughout sequencing technologies to characterize molecular pathways associated with genes such as TREM2 and SORLA.
The lab is looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral associate to study the role of genetic sporadic risk factors in Alzheimer’s disease (AD) on triggering and exacerbating AD onset.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should apply online to the SBP career site by submitting one PDF document with a cover letter, CV, references and list of any publications or accomplishments.
- Independently design and perform experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques
- Demonstrate flexibility in adapting methods and skills according to evolving project priorities
- Provide independent experimental design and planning
- Be able to analyze and interpret data from different sources and draw relevant conclusions
- Demonstrate knowledge in relevant specialized disciplines
- Be able to present results at internal and external meetings
- Accurately document experiments
- Contribute to writing of reports and manuscripts with increasing responsibility over time
- Work collaboratively across lab functions and train other junior lab staff as needed
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. with background in neuroscience, genetics, cellular and/or molecular biology.
- Proof of fully COVID-19 vaccination
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- The ability to work independently and to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interactive and collaborative team
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical, time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.