CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Quantum Materials and Devices
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Sydney, Australia
- Job Number: 7100396 (Ref #: cj_84495)
- Posting Date: May 19, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Do you have a PhD in Physics, Quantum Engineering, Materials Science or Nanotechnology?
- Want to conduct world class research and development with a team of dedicated professionals?
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
We are seeking an ambitious individual to join the Graphene Materials and Devices Team. The Graphene Materials and Devices Team has extensive experience in the production and application of graphene and other 2D materials. The team tackles global problems in the areas of clean energy, water, sensing and quantum technologies.
Partnering with the Quantum Technologies Future Science Platform, the successful candidate will be pivotal in developing new areas of quantum technology research within CSIRO by working with 2D material systems to develop exciting and novel quantum devices.
Your duties will include:
- Optimising and extending CSIRO’s 2D material synthesis, handling, and fabrication processes.
- Designing optically active quantum enabled devices using 2D materials.
- Fabricating quantum-enabled devices, under cleanroom conditions
- Working closely with other scientists and engineers in the development of quantum technology projects and infrastructure at CSIRO.
- Collaborating with research partners (academia and industry) to develop novel quantum solutions to emerging problems
Location: Sydney, NSW
Salary: AU$89k - AU$98k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Physics, Quantum Engineering, Materials Science or Nanotechnology. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (full-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with 2D material systems.
- Knowledge (hands-on and theoretical) in the development of devices from 2D materials.
- Experience with micro/nanofabrication techniques (e.g., photo/e-beam lithography, magnetron sputtering, thermal evaporation, spin coating).
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
20 June 2022, 11:00pm AEST
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com