Postdoctoral Fellow - Charis Eng Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7097982 (Ref #: 25987374048)
- Posting Date: Apr 13, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Charis Eng laboratory is seeking a highly motivated, self-driven postdoctoral research fellow for the Genomic Medicine Institute at Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute. The successful candidate will have demonstrated proficiency in neurodevelopment and neuron-glial interaction research, mouse work and experiment design, and will apply those skills to elucidate the cellular and molecular mechanisms contributing to PTEN mutation-driven autism spectrum disorder observed in germline PTEN patients. The postdoctoral researcher will be directly responsible for conducting experiments and analyzing data under Dr. Eng’s mentorship and must be willing and able to work as part of a team, learn new techniques and mentor others.
The Genomic Medicine Institute is an interdisciplinary institute and department committed to performing translational and clinical human genetics and genomics investigation. A major focus of the Eng Lab is to utilize multi-disciplinary approaches – classical genetics, genomics, metagenomics, computational/systems biology, immunology, computational biophysics, animal modeling, and molecular biology – to elucidate the molecular mechanisms that contribute to cancer predisposition and neurodevelopmental disorders (e.g., autism spectrum disorder), and other PTEN-related phenotypes in the context of germline PTEN disruption.
Principal Investigator: Charis Eng, MD PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Genomic Medicine Institute
Lab Research Topics:
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Provide clear, detailed and thorough progress reports
- Mouse husbandry, genotyping, tissue collection
- Data analysis, presentation, grant and manuscript preparation
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- PhD required
- Highly motivated and self-driven individual with exemplary work-ethic and ability to promote team-spirit/collegiality
- Strong background in development and function of glia and neurons
- Experience in mouse behavior and neurophysiology
- Proficient in Western blot, IF, ELISA, qRT-PCR, cryotome / microtome sectioning
- Good aseptic technique, and cell-culture experience
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
Applicants should include a CV, cover letter and contact information for three references to Dr. Charis Eng at [email protected].
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, Lerner Research Institute, Genomic Medicine Institute, PTEN, Autism, Neuroscience, Neurodevelopment, Microglia, Synapses, Neuroinflammation
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Cleveland Clinic Health System administers an influenza prevention program as well as a COVID-19 vaccine program. You will be required to comply with both programs, which will include obtaining an influenza vaccination, COVID-19 vaccination, or an exemption.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.