Postdoctoral Associate - Tumor initiation and maintenance
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: La Jolla, CA
- Job Number: 7092663
- Posting Date: Jan 21, 2022
Job DescriptionSanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Yip laboratory has a Postdoctoral Associate position available. Dr. Kevin Yip has recently moved to Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute (SBP) in La Jolla. His lab will develop and apply computational methods to analyze different types of experimental data for studying fundamental gene regulatory mechanisms and their disruptions in human diseases, with a focus on cancer.
Applications are invited from ambitious, independent and motivated candidates to join Dr. Yip's lab to work on multiple new projects related to single-cell sequencing, spatial transcriptomics, gene regulation, and cancer immunotherapy. The postdoctoral associate will work closely with collaborating biologists, clinicians, and technologists at SBP, the La Jolla research community, and other local and foreign institutes.
The projects will employ and further develop latest methods in artificial intelligence, such as graph transformer networks and Wasserstein auto-encoders.
San Diego is an outstanding scientific environment and a fabulous place to live.
• Proactively and semi-independently lead one of the new projects.
• Develop novel algorithms and machine learning methods for analyzing biomedical data.
• Acquire, manage and process data sets from collaborators and public sources.
• Apply computational methods to comprehensively analyze the data sets.
• Communicate with collaborators to define biological and computational problems and design research methods.
• Report research progress and perform knowledge sharing regularly with other members of the lab.
• Present research findings in research meetings and scientific conferences.
• Contribute materials for grant applications.
• Candidates should have, or be working towards, a PhD or equivalent degree in bioinformatics, computer science, statistics, or other relevant disciplines.
• General research experience in bioinfoarmatics or computational biology is required. Specific experience in working with single-cell sequencing data and bulk omic data (ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, etc.) is preferred.
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES:
• Expertise and experience in developing and using machine learning methods are preferred.
• Basic understandings of molecular biology, epigenetics and cancer are necessary.
• Abilities in GPU programming, web application development, and computer system administration would be a plus.
• Good communication, organization, and problem-solving skills are expected.
• Emboding SBP's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community, and Compassion is expected.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected] Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.