Postdoctoral Scholar - Center for Health Effects of Environmental Contamination (CHEEC)
- University of Iowa Office of the Vice President for Research
- Location: Iowa City, IA
- Job Number: 7091485
- Posting Date: Jan 7, 2022
- Application Deadline: Jan 31, 2022
Job DescriptionThe Center for Health Effects of Environmental Contamination (CHEEC) Postdoctoral Scholar will contribute to CHEEC’s research program related to pathogens found in the environment and their potential impact on human health. In partnership with the State Hygienic Laboratory, this person will conduct research related to the occurrence of antibiotic resistant bacteria and antibiotic resistance genes in Iowa’s rivers and streams. This person will be responsible for collection and processing of water and sediment samples. They will use culture based and molecular methods to enumerate, enrich, isolate, and characterize antibiotic resistant bacteria and their genes. He/she will support CHEEC’s efforts to disseminate research outcomes, including representing CHEEC at public and professional environmental health meetings. For more information about CHEEC, visit https://cheec.uiowa.edu/.
• A PhD in environmental engineering, environmental science, microbiology, molecular biology or related field.
• Demonstrated experience facilitating partnerships and participating in / coordinating multi-faceted research projects
• Excellent oral communication skills, and demonstrated writing proficiency
• Valid driver’s license and ability to meet and maintain UI Fleet Safety driving requirements.
• Familiarity with environmental sample collecting, including design and implementation of field investigations related to environmental quality
• Experience with the processing of complex environmental samples for microbial analysis, including all associated QA/QC activities
• Prior work with culture-based methods and molecular methods for analysis of antibiotic resistant bacteria and antibiotic resistance genes
• A track record of publication, including peer-reviewed articles, technical reports and opinion/editorial (op-ed) pieces.
• Experience with writing grant or contract proposals, and experience in the grant review process
Salary is $53,760 to commensurate with experience and qualifications.
For a complete job description, contact Wendy Loney at [email protected]
Please apply online using Postdoc [email protected] at https://jobs.uiowa.edu/postdoc/view/3698 (Requisition #3698).
Please include the following in your application:
• A letter of application (no more than two pages) that explains your interest in the position and how your past experiences would contribute to your success in the position.
• A current resume or curriculum vitae.
• A sample of your writing (no more than 10 pages), such as published article, meeting abstract(s), excerpt from your dissertation.
• The names and contact information for three references.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.