Postdoc - AI-Accelerated Diffraction Imaging of Complex Materials
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7087681 (Ref #: ANL-411646)
- Posting Date: Oct 22, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Computational X-ray Science (CXS) group at the Advanced Photon Source (APS) (https://www.aps.anl.gov/) is involved in developing computational solutions for materials characterization using x-rays. CXS supports a wide variety of advanced scientific instruments at the APS by developing new algorithms, AI/ML models and building software frameworks for x-ray techniques of diffraction, imaging and spectroscopy, as well as variants and combinations of these base techniques.
CXS is looking for a post-doctoral appointee to develop AI/ML techniques for automated data analysis of high energy x-ray tomographic data using both diffraction and absorption-based contrast. The successful candidate will work to accelerate processing and feature detection of this multi-modal 3D data, including use of automated morphology quantification. These computational developments are aimed at enabling studies of larger numbers of samples as well as more complex samples - which may contain multiple phases and several tomographic features – than possible today.
Candidates with a background in machine learning, computational materials science, computational physics, image processing, inverse problems, applied math and x-ray science are encouraged to apply.
Required Skills and Experience
- Ph.D. Degree and 0-1 years of experience OR
- Master’s Degree and 2-3 years of experience OR
- Bachelor’s Degree and 6-8 years of experience.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in developing AI/ML models applied to Materials Science or Physics problems.
- Knowledge of computation tools for development of software including programming languages such as Python.
- Skill with machine learning frameworks including scikit-learn, Tensorflow and PyTorch.
- Knowledge of diffraction, crystallography and microtomography
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Good written and communication skills.
Questions about the posting should be directed to email@example.com
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.