Postdoctoral Scholar Position: Hydrodynamic Modelling and Wave Energy Technology R&D
- Oregon State University
- Location: Corvallis, OR
- Job Number: 7077896
- Posting Date: May 4, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionPostdoctoral Scholar Position:
Hydrodynamic Modelling and Wave Energy Technology R&D
with the Pacific Marine Energy Center and
School of Civil and Construction Engineering
Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
The Pacific Marine Energy Center (PMEC) at Oregon State University is recruiting a post-doctoral scholar to support our cutting-edge marine energy research, development, and testing programs. PMEC has a number of exciting multi-disciplinary R&D projects on the go and is looking for an inquisitive, self-motivated, and passionate PostDoc to join our team.
Specifically, PMEC is recruiting a post-doc to support two new Department of Energy and US Navy projects to develop new foundational understanding of sub-surface wave energy resources, development of new methodologies to upscale wave energy converter (WEC) performance characteristics, and play a leadership role in the numerical and physical modelling (in the O.H. Hinsdale Wave Research Laboratory) of scaled WECs.
The successful applicant will:
• Lead a team of graduate and undergraduate students to conduct rigorous, cutting-edge R&D.
• Lead, or support, technology testing and validation in the O.H. Hinsdale Wave Research Laboratory
• Lead, or support, the development of new hydrodynamic models for offshore sub-surface and hybrid renewable energy systems.
• Disseminate research findings through high-impact research journals and academic conferences.
• Collaborate with PMEC Director and PMEC-affiliated faculty at OSU.
• Collaborate across engineering, social science, liberal arts and humanities research streams
• Ph.D. in engineering or relevant discipline (mechanical, civil, ocean, electrical, environmental, etc).
• Proven track-record of independent research, critical thinking, and successful academic publications.
• Experience in numerical and/or physical modelling of hydrodynamically active bodies.
• Proven knowledge of ocean waves and marine energy resource characteristics.
• Numerical modelling of the hydrodynamic effects for ocean conditions. Example numerical codes include WEC-Sim, ProteusDS, OpenFAST, and OrcaFlex.
• Experience working with scaled prototypes in wave tanks, flumes, and similar.
• Mechanical design experience utilizing Solidworks (or similar CAD package) and associated manufacturing skills.
Position available: August 1, 2021 (open until filled)
This is a full-time, 12-month Postdoctoral Scholar position, located in Corvallis, Oregon. Initially, the position is a 1-year appointment; however, extension is possible based on satisfactory performance and mutual agreement.
PMEC is a competitively designated U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Center focused on the responsible advancement of marine energy by expanding scientific understanding, engaging stakeholders, and educating students. Within PMEC, researchers from Oregon State University, the University of Washington, and the University of Alaska Fairbanks work closely with marine energy technology developers, academic and National Laboratory researchers, coastal community members, ocean users, federal and state regulators, and other government officials, to address key challenges in the sector and accelerate its emergence. We serve as an objective voice regarding the opportunities, capabilities, and effects of marine energy, including wave, tidal, riverine, and offshore wind resources. For additional information about the activities within PMEC, please visit: www.pmec.us
Please note that OSU and PMEC commit to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
U.S. citizens and residents will be prioritized.
Stipend and benefits conform with postdoctoral scholar standards at Oregon State. More information about postdoctoral scholar appointments at Oregon State can be found at http://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/postdocs
For full consideration, apply by June 1st. Applicants must send the following documents in a single PDF file (Word documents will not be opened) to the contact listed below:
• A detailed CV and academic transcript.
• A one-page statement describing your background and how you meet the qualifications for the advertised position.
• Contact information for three references.
The subject line of your email should contain the following text: “PMEC Post-doctoral scholar in Marine Energy (your last name).” Please note that only candidates that meet the required skills and expertise will be contacted.
Operations Manager, Pacific Marine Energy Center Oregon State University
Corvallis, Oregon, USA
OSU is an AA/EEO employer.